Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Article About Scams

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Worth the read, in light of so many recently.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180727-why-so-many-people-fall-for-scams

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Very interesting read @Bambino. Amazing how many people are so easily caught out.

I'm suspicious by nature and don't reply to anything from companies I've had no dealings with or never heard of. And I'm very careful about not clicking on links in games, FB etc.

Not had any phishing emails yet and hope it stays that way. If I did they'd be deleted straight away.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that some scams are getting quite sophisticated nowadays, but it’s hard to fathom how so many are still falling for the more traditional ones. I mean how can people seriously believe, that they’ve won a prize in a competition that they haven’t even entered? Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that some scams are getting quite sophisticated nowadays, but it’s hard to fathom how so many are still falling for the more traditional ones. I mean how can people seriously believe, that they’ve won a prize in a competition that they haven’t even entered? Smiley Indifferent

Probably @Anonymous because all they actually read is you've won and some silly amount of money and don't stop to think. Then they either give their bank details or click on a link and so get caught.

Stupid I know but there it is. You wouldn't do it nor would I but it's amazing how many people still do. In spite of numerous warnings and stories of so many others caught out and losing large sums of money.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I had the HMRC scam call this morning. The one that says you are being prosecuted and will go to prison if you don't pay xxxx amount. I'd heard about that one.

Today I had an email from Alert Neighbourhood about a scam doing the rounds regarding Linkedin

https://www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/da/229761/Watchout%20for%20these%20fake%20LinkedIn%20emails.html

It appears they will try everything and anything Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5