Did you mean: 

In-car tech devices and gadgets

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, how's your week going so far?

I was reading this article on Spotify's in-car music player device that they are rumoured to be developing and launching this year. I thought that's pretty cool, there's no need to use your mobile phone for that anymore.

Apart from this device, I started to think there must actually be all kinds of interesting gadgets and accessories meant for in-car use that I haven't even thought about. There's the usual things we hear about nowadays such as dashboard cameras and phone chargers that plug into the car, or devices that link to your smartphone and help find where your car is parked, led lighting to enhance the atmosphere inside your car....

I've always thought how awesome it would be to have something like a coffee machine that makes you a cup of coffee for the journey. Smiley Very Happy I just googled it and apparently there are portable espresso makers for cars...

If you could add any tech/gadgets you wanted to your car (either as driver or passenger, or both), which ones would that be? Have you seen any cool ones that already exist?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Marjo

The best thing that I could get for my car would be a chauffeur ~ not high tech though, low tech but

absolutely perfect wink

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 12

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I miss the electric aerial but thanks to advances in aerial technology (seriously) we don't get the long extendable ones that you forgot to put down in a car wash. 

Otherwise, not keen on much more in the car other than a dashcam as I prefer the driving. Perhaps an ejector seat or a James Bond array of gadgets to ensure I don't have to suffer road rage cool I've always wanted something like Super Pursuit Mode from Knight Rider: 

Sheepdog in "I actually do have an S button in my car as standard" mode

Message 3 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The best gadgets are the ones that provide a tangible benefit.
For example, I have heard that a manufacturer has added "night vision" which improves the visibility at night. Others include a HUD which overlays information on the screen (speed, directions, etc).
Anything that makes cars safer to drive (or be on the road with) is a positive.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
The best gadgets are the ones that provide a tangible benefit.
For example, I have heard that a manufacturer has added "night vision" which improves the visibility at night. Others include a HUD which overlays information on the screen (speed, directions, etc).
Anything that makes cars safer to drive (or be on the road with) is a positive.

I had heard of the "night vision" recently @gmarkj

When I just googled the manufacturer, I came up with about 6 articles dating back to 2015.

So not as recent as I first thought?! astonished

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Yeah it looks like it has been a thing for a while.

The one I heard about was the DS7 (linked here) which scans the road in front for items on the road and can provide an audible warning if it is in the path of the car.

Looks good, and could be useful, but the range is rather limited. Plus it costs a pretty penny!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's the one. I think it was shown at the CES this year?

Perhaps the Duke Of Edinburgh should have one fitted!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Ooo good one @Cleoriff  LOL

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Ooo good one @Cleoriff  LOL

Mind you the DoE said there was low sun in his eyes...so perhaps he needs one for day AND night? clown

(Not forgetting a car that refuses to start unless he puts his damn seatbelt on?!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
There was talk of an in car breathalyser being installed, so you had to pass a breath test before it would switch on. That would be useful as well.

Message 10 of 12