Did you mean: 

Idioms thread!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Idioms! We use them every day without giving them a second thought but there are some really interesting origins behind these commonly used phrases. 

This article lists some of the regularly used idioms in the English language a long with their meanings and origins, some of which are hundreds of years old! I've listed a few of my favourites, and actually use in day to day life below. laughing

It's raining cats and dogs

Meaning: We Brits are known for our obsession with the weather, so we couldn’t omit a rain-related idiom from this list. It’s “raining cats and dogs” when it’s raining particularly heavily.

Example: “Listen to that rain!” “It’s raining cats and dogs!”

Origins: The origins of this bizarre phrase are obscure, though it was first recorded in 1651 in the poet Henry Vaughan’s collection Olor Iscanus. Speculation as to its origins ranges from medieval superstition to Norse mythology, but it may even be a reference to dead animals being washed through the streets by floods.

Fat chance 

Meaning: We use the expression “fat chance” to refer to something that is incredibly unlikely. Bizarrely, and contrary to what one might expect, the related expression “slim chance” means the same thing.

Example: “We might win the Lottery.” “Fat chance.”

Origins: The origins of this expression are unclear, but the use of the word “fat” is likely to be a sarcastic version of saying “slim chance”. A similar expression is “Chance would be a fine thing”, which refers to something that one would like to happen, but that is very unlikely.

Call it a day 

Meaning: This means to stop doing something for the day, for example work, either temporarily or to give it up completely.

Example: “I can’t concentrate – let’s call it a day.”

Origins: The expression was originally “call it half a day”, first recorded in 1838 in a context meaning to leave one’s place of work before the working day was over. “Call it a day” came later, in 1919.

Bite off more than you can chew 

Meaning: If you “bite off more than you can chew”, you have taken on a project or task that is beyond what you are capable of.

Example: “I bit off more than I could chew by taking on that extra class.”

Origins: This saying dates back to 1800s America, when people often chewed tobacco. Sometimes the chewer would put into their mouth more than they could fit; it’s quite self-explanatory!

Let me know which idioms are your favourites and which ones you use regularly! wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MarjoI love the 'let me show you where the chicken pees from'.

I could use that one on numerous occasions at home so will pinch it ...joy

Ha I'd love to hear how that goes sweat_smile

Message 11 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

When something goes missing and we cannot find it, we say it "vanished like a fart in the Sahara" (vanished in thin air).

This has just made my day.

The two main ones I use are "cat in hell's chance" or "you've got two hopes, and one was called Bob" - basically both mean there is no way that is happening.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 20

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I haven't heard the Bob Hope one @gmarkj!

Another spoon-related idiom is "throwing the spoon into a corner" which means either giving up, quit doing something (like your job) or to die.

If someone's fly is open I tell them "the horses are running away!"

And when I'm in a hurry and need to catch the bus for example, I'll "run with my head as my third leg".

When you say you have a "bone to pick" we say "chicken to pluck". chicken

If someone is a bit daft we can say they "only have a head so their spine wouldn't drop to their trousers"...

Message 13 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Loving those Finnish ones @Marjojoy

I've not heard "cat in hell's chance" for a while @gmarkj. I'm guna have to put that back into my regular vocabulary!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2wrote:

Loving those Finnish ones @Marjojoy

I've not heard "cat in hell's chance" for a while @gmarkj. I'm guna have to put that back into my regular vocabulary!

Then you obviously missed my post @Martin-O2 joy

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/Idioms-thread/m-p/1115607/highlight/true#M103768

So maybe you fit into the other one I posted "The lights are on but no-one is home"

See I "Pulled a blinder there"

PS I shall now wait patiently for the

Image result for images of Ban Hammer

joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I've loved reading all of your contributions, particularly the Finnish ones from @Marjo

.My favourites are

He/she's not working with a full deck meaning they're not all there.

Seriously meaning you are joking right!?

From your mouth to God's ear meaning you hope something is going to happen.

John's waving hello meaning your flies are undone.

That's water under the bridge meaning that's in the past so forget it.

Wake up and smell the coffee meaning can't you see what's going on.

There are probably more some of which I can't say on this forum and remain a member LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Catty Cornered - meaning diagonally across a corner. (Mainly furniture)

has always baffled me..

and i love

Doozy - meaning.. something outstanding/great

Message 17 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Re-reading your post I now noticed you originally posted the cat in hells chance one.
Apologies for the plagiarism.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkjwrote:
Re-reading your post I now noticed you originally posted the cat in hells chance one.
Apologies for the plagiarism.

It's ok @gmarkj. I won't sue you 😂😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj@Cleoriff I missed it too on the first read! There were so many good ones in the the post it escaped notice! laughing

@Glory1 Some great ones there too. smiling I'm a big fan of "Wake up and smell the coffee" 

signature

Message 20 of 20