cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAX vs iSense with Dolby Atmos, which is better in your experience?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So am going up to the local Odeon cinema to watch Deadpool 2 on Monday evening, now with a couple of people from work.

I usually book the ticket online as I can easily go and pick it up from the machine without risking putting my PIN into the readers there.

Since it opened about 3 years back I've always opted to go for IMAX but for some reason they aren't taking IMAX bookings online though the film has also been released in IMAX.

The cinema also has what they refer to as iSense which includes Dolby Atmos and 4K projection so I am going to give this a whirl on this occasion.

I've seen a couple of reviews online and the Dolby system seems to come out on top but my question is, have you seen both and which do you prefer and why?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted about IMAX Here, not 100% sure it works in 3d nor multiplex's. 

There's a good article about the differences between iMax & isense Here  @Anonymous 

Also Dolby is mostly only ever about sound, imax & isense are the visual side,

Atmos supports up to 64 discrete channels , and as ever with multi-channel sound can either be rendered by actually having 64 channels & speakers or simulating them. The p20 pro from Huawei  comes with Atmos

but only has two speakers....

Also speakers can also have one two or more bass, treble and midrange units, and each unit can be active (own power amplification ) or passive (shared power amplification). Active speakers these days tend to have the requisite power amp(s) built in. Tho purists would argue the power amp is better off outside the speaker enclosures. Except subwoofers which usually only ever have one active or passive unit, with the power amp built in. Tho with subwoofers the bigger the better.

You could write a whole thread about the evolution of multi channel sound., Actually you could write whole books. Cinemas are much less likely to get the sound right than the vision.

Message 2 of 8

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I've only experienced iMax personally, and really liked how immersive and impactful it was. I'd be very curious to know what you think of the other option if you try it on Monday evening smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Real3d is ok. Imax with 8-channel dolby atmos is awesome.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Surround sound in theatres are supposed to be in calibrated using noise and tones. So no matter what movie is played it should sound like the director intended.

Although sometimes these films can be so loud that your perception of sound and it's aural location can be blurred and out of focus. Meaning it's not quite as good as intended. As long as the center channels support the main dialogue then rest should fall into place.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Only ever been to one Imax and that was to see Dunkirk. Which was impressive I must say as the width of the cinema to appreciate the audio depth. But yes, a lot of cinemas seem to be loud in a narrow area and ends up being a touch bass heavy for me as they just turn it up thinking its adds to the movie.

I really don't know why they need to deafen us to tell us to be quiet during the film at the beginning....

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay in coming back.

I'm definitely an iSense convert.

4K projection was terrific and the sound seemed more focused.

Next on the film list is Mission Impossible: Fallout

Message 7 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'll definitely try iSense as soon as I get the chance, @Anonymous smiley And the next Mission Impossible will be amazing in these conditions, awesome choice!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 8