cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never know...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether to start a new topic or not.

Like the weather or music.  It seems pointless starting a new one when there are older ones about with perfectly apt / good titles that were talking about the exact same thing.. But I know some people / forums are a bit touchy about reviving old threads..

So I'm wondering how old is too old, or whether a new thread is in order!

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousI never think it matters on here if honest.

As long as there isn't a recent thread which is still running.... then that could get confusing.

There will always be someone who wants to chat about anything.

We have the Virtual Lounge  where people chat about day to day things and occasionally we 'eat and drink' in there https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/The-Virtual-Lounge/td-p/1068140/highlight/true/page/240

I mean I started the Formula One thread years ago and at that time there were about 6 of us who posted regularly....now due to people leaving its usually just me and @jonsie (or often I talk to myself) LOL

You should just fire away, if people are interested they will post on the thread...If not they won't Bow

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers again C

Which brings me to another point about the search facility. I know it was overhauled a few months back and it now functions adequately, but when I’ve searched for things, as in ‘weather’ lots of threads appear.. great..

but then when you switch to date order.. your search word seems to make no difference in then just orders all threads in date order..

or or is that just me? 

Message 3 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

And the other annoying thing is..

On my iPad the search bar is only visible in portrait mode. Only by chance did I work it out yesterday when I dropped my iPad and it suddenly appeared.. grr

Message 4 of 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Its not just you @Anonymous which is why most of us would rather use google. Put the same search words in and then just enter 'community o2' or simply 'o2' after it and you get more accurate results. Try it....

As for starting a new thread or not, don't worry. If it's a news tem or a technical topic seen on another site or online newspaper, start a new thread. If you post in a 5 year old thread everyone will see it and if it's a more up to date subject then someone will flag it to be made into a new thread or not.

Message 5 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Meh.. I want them to fix it.. well I say fix it.. tweak it.. the last fix was quite good!

Message 6 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I rarely use the forum search engine, unless it's by topic title or a recent thread such as excessive data use on iPhone as an example

However the search engine has the annoying habit of changing your words and asking if you mean this instead. No I don't actually and you have just wasted 10 minutes of my life I won't get back!

I google everything and just start the sentence with 'O2 blah blah blah.
Without fail google will find nearly every topic posted on here.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 31

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@AnonymousI never think it matters on here if honest.

As long as there isn't a recent thread which is still running.... then that could get confusing.

There will always be someone who wants to chat about anything.

We have the Virtual Lounge  where people chat about day to day things and occasionally we 'eat and drink' in there https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/The-Virtual-Lounge/td-p/1068140/highlight/true/page/240

I mean I started the Formula One thread years ago and at that time there were about 6 of us who posted regularly....now due to people leaving its usually just me and @jonsie (or often I talk to myself) LOL

You should just fire away, if people are interested they will post on the thread...If not they won't Bow

I am always talking to myself couldnt talk to anyone better grin

Message 8 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And if you aren't talking to yourself @Poppysmum. you are, to use your own words, lurking around LOL

Best lurker ever. trophy Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

And if you aren't talking to yourself @Poppysmum. you are, to use your own words, lurking around LOL

Best lurker ever. trophy Bouncy

It's good to see you posting @Poppysmum, I like looking at your avatar photo smiling

I do use the Search button to look up something I've seen on the community but can't remember where ... = ... it can be another member's post or one of my own ... I find it useful for that ... but ... not flooking or actual info as described above

Message 10 of 31