cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know it's only Telly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coverage

Was watching something the other night, and they were trying to call the Emergency services and were complaining about lack of and losing signal!

I was always under the impression that if you were to make one of these calls, irrespective of network you were calling from it would always connect the call? Or is that depending on whether you dial 999 or 112?

Obviously if there is no network coverage available with any network then this would not be possible, but I think there are very few places where this would happen!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Currently the system deployed is called "Airwave" and it does not require a normal mobile network (it doesn't even require a sim card in the phone) but it is due for replacement soon https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-emergency-services-mobile-communications-programme
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Currently the system deployed is called "Airwave" and it does not require a normal mobile network (it doesn't even require a sim card in the phone) but it is due for replacement soon https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-emergency-services-mobile-communications-programme

112 however won't work...

Message 3 of 12

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

That's a very interesting topic - thank you for raising it @Anonymous 

I always presumed the rules were different for emergency calls, such as being able to use a locked/blocked phone to call 999 (for example when you don't know the password/passcode to the phone).

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Interesting @Anonymous  I watch a lot of Emergency rescue programmes. The people who seem to have major problems calling any service are those who go fell walking, hiking on the moors or mountain climbing....as a result I have ruled those activities out of my life  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff I went for a walk up a mountain once and got signal all the way up!

Mind you it was Ben Nevis!

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff I went for a walk up a mountain once and got signal all the way up!

Mind you it was Ben Nevis!

Oh...that may be one I try then @Anonymous  *sniggers*  LOL..

Maybe someone could just find me a handy cable car? Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's used to be a Chairlift to the top of the Cairngorms and a Cafe there too!

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

There's used to be a Chairlift to the top of the Cairngorms and a Cafe there too!

Please do not try to tempt me...My next excuse is...I don't like heights....Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't like heights and am scared of the dark!

I was useless as a Fireman!

Message 10 of 12