Did you mean: 

Hundreds of baby tarantulas born at Chester Zoo

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

Love them or hate them spiders are not only everywhere but a necessary part of the ecosystem keeping insect populations in check. There are around 46,000 species of spider and they can be found on most continents across the globe. One of the most well known types is the tarantula which are famous for their large size and appearance in cinema over the years. 

Chester Zoo has just successfully hatched 200 baby Montserrat tarantulas following careful management of the few specimens that had been brought to the zoo in 2013 from a Caribbean island that is the only known place where Montserrat tarantulas are found. This was quite an achievement as the males have a much shorter life span then the females and during a mating attempt the males can sometimes be eaten! 

How do you guys feel about spiders? A great pet or the stuff of nightmares? I do have a touch of Arachnophobia but over the years I've learnt to live and let live when it comes to spiders Smiley Very Happy

You can read the full story about the new arrivals here

Spiders.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I am fine with spiders on two proviso's - they aren't in the bedroom and aren't dangerous!
My OH and daughter aren't so keen. Anything with more than 4 legs in our house get evicted to the front or back garden...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj Haha I can relate to the no bedroom rule! Strangely I'm fine with very small or very big spiders. It's the mid range ones that freak me out. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Almost had a car crash this weekend.
Been doing "some" gardening (pruning about 5 ft off some conifers) and was on the way home from the tip when I noticed an orb weaver crawling on the roof above my head!

Managed to quickly grab one of the gardening gloves from the passenger seat and flicked him into the back.

One of these bad boys:

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 4 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Woah the cheeky bugger must have snuck in on the conifers! You did well not to crash the car, I would have panicked. 

signature

Message 5 of 7

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It was heart in mouth for a while.
It was about the size of a 50p coin, so not small enough for me to be happy if it fell on my head!
That was the first of 2 loads as well, so the second time round I was constantly looking about for passengers as well as traffic...

Message 6 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Yes that's a little large to have running lose in the car! Luckily he didn't have any other friends along for the ride Smiley Very Happy

signature

Message 7 of 7