cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would this work if you can't receive SMS messages?

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35238 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

skynews-ofcom-switch-mobile_4186920.jpg

An interesting article about switching cellphone provider "self-service", a same-day process being discussed for implementation in 2019:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/switch-mobile-provider-via-a-free-text-message-from-2019-11177235

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

In a day.. I’m laughing my behind off.. most providers can’t do that in a week!

Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

In the age we now live in, where text messaging is instantaneous, theoretically there is no reason why a service like that isn't possible. I'd be curious to see what excuses mobile providers come up with to say that they couldn't do it. All you'd have to do is go to an area where you can receive a mobile signal, or as the diagram says, do it online.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

pgn
  • 35238 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

... All you'd have to do is go to an area where you can receive a mobile signal, or as the diagram says, do it online.

@Bambino Although the response seems to be in the form of a text (SMS) message, does it not?

The same way mobile authentication happens, where the bank sends a text to your phone with a code to permit you to proceed with a transaction...

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

... All you'd have to do is go to an area where you can receive a mobile signal, or as the diagram says, do it online.

@Bambino Although the response seems to be in the form of a text (SMS) message, does it not?

The same way mobile authentication happens, where the bank sends a text to your phone with a code to permit you to proceed with a transaction...

And....? What's your point? Are you always in areas where you can't receive texts? If it's a process you want to happen quickly, you make sure you're somewhere you can receive a text. Where's the difficulty in that? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

pgn
  • 35238 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Those who relied on TuGo for their texts are stuffed, I guess.
Message 6 of 10

Bambino
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Only if they're at home and have no boost box. How many times would someone be planning to switch providers?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

pgn
  • 35238 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Yes, I am sure switching won't be a common occurrence.

Switching raises a good point - does the boostbox remain useable once you have switched away from the provider who sold/leased it to you...?
Message 8 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, not at all.
It's linked by the phone number, so if the number is no longer with O2 it won't be on the white list of allowed connections.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I know the original post was from Sky News but it was Ofcom who initiated the change and say it will be implemented by 2019 ie Customers will be able to switch providers by sending a simple text

• Mobile users will be able to leave without speaking to their current provider
  • Providers banned from making notice-period charges after switch date

Mobile customers will be able to switch provider by simply sending a free text message, under major reforms announced by Ofcom today.

"There will be an 18-month implementation period before this comes into effect, meaning providers must comply by no later than 1 July 2019".

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2017/switch-mobile-provider-with-a-...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10