cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi-De-Hi campers!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to love Saturday evening tv as a kid. And watching Hi-De-Hi was a weekend favourite! Was just reading an article, HERE .. 30 years ago since it finished its run.. 19million viewers.. I don’t think anything gets that these days..

So what were you doing / watching 30 years ago???

(Noel Edmunds has to feature in this thread somewhere!!!)

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We watched all the American programmes back in the day. Our love of touring the US came from watching those programmes, we wanted to see all those fabulous cities where the programmes were made.

Some come to mind and others I can't remember the names of.

Rockford Files, Mork & Mindy, M.A.S.H., TAXI, Streets of San Francisco, Quincey ME, CHiPs, Happy Days, Kojak, Different Strokes, Hawii Five-O, The Mary Tyler-Moore Show, I Dream of Genie and all the shows mentioned above.Most unmissable in their day.

Some my wife watched that I had to suffer such as Dallas, Little House on the Prairie, Beverly Hills 90120, Soap, Return to Peyton Place, Knots Landing....you get the general gist. Obviously many more but long since we'll forgotten. 

I had to make do with Bonanza and Guns more. ...sad innit!

Her particular favourite was Starsky & Hutch because she drooled over Paul Michael Glaser and our youngest son was named Paul Michael.....I only let her get away away with that because I liked the names!

I think my big favourite was Alias Smith and Jones though my wife enjoyed that too because she also had a thing for Ben Murphy whilst I thought Pete Duell was pretty cool...as was James Garner in Rockford and Maverick !

Ah memories.....but also loss of these days!

Message 11 of 28

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@jonsie thank you for the memories. I watched every show you mentioned and still watch a lot of American TV. And your late wife had very good taste. I loved Starsky & Hutch but I drooled over David Soul - I'm partial to blondes but I wouldn't have said no to Ben Murphy either; very tasty 😂

Not that your taste was bad it was great. My TV taste is very varied and apart from romantic comedy, I generally watch every genre going. Hence the square eyes 🤣

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 28

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I forgot to mention another programme that  avoided by playing with the kids....Falcon Crest...not sure who she drooled over in that, in fact I couldn't for the life of me name anyone in it!

Message 13 of 28

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Oh @jonsie sorry but Falcon Crest was another show I regularly watched. I can't remember all the show's stars but, and I don't know why, and this could be totally insane, I think Jane Wyman was the star. If anybody can remember Falcon Crest and can tell me if I'm imagining this or not I'd be most grateful.

Message 14 of 28

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
By the way @jonsie there was also Knot's Landing, a spin-off from Dallas and Dynasty: oh those shoulder pads. Good times 😉

Message 15 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Of the three, Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing, I watched Dynasty the most. It appeared to have more glitz and glamour. Mind you, the fight in Dallas between Alexis and Krystal  was TV gold at the time...

I forgot to mention Knight Rider. I liked David Hasselhoff in that one. (and nothing else he did after)

In fact I liked a lot of TV. Couldn't always follow a series though. That was the problem with shift work back in those days....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

wrote:
Oh @jonsie sorry but Falcon Crest was another show I regularly watched. I can't remember all the show's stars but, and I don't know why, and this could be totally insane, I think Jane Wyman was the star. If anybody can remember Falcon Crest and can tell me if I'm imagining this or not I'd be most grateful.

Yes.... Jane Wyman was in Falcons Crest, as well as Kim Novak and Gina Lollobrigida. The rest were a bunch of actors I have never heard of. I googled it as I never watched it....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

What happy memories all the above  ^  ^  ^  you have brought back for me tv

Big Valley with Barbara Stanwyck leading the cast ... I remember it had great theme music

My earliest tv memories are of the American made tv programmed eg Whirlybirds / The Lone Ranger / Hawkeye & Chingjacook (bad spelling) may be called The Mohecans

There was an English soap centred on the posh boating community somewhere dahn sarf but I can't remember it's name, but I liked it

Also Triangle with Kate o' Mara in but I watched it for the leading man who's name I can't remember, he is still around on British tv 

Anyone remember the somewhat short lived Eldorado, I liked that as it showed me a Mediterranean lifestyle

Message 18 of 28

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

wrote:

wrote:

Yes.... Jane Wyman was in Falcons Crest, as well as Kim Novak and Gina Lollobrigida. The rest were a bunch of actors I have never heard of. I googled it as I never watched it....LOL

Thanks @Cleoriff. I didn't think to Google it I was working from memory. At leasr I know I wasn't mad when I said Jane Wyman LOL

Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Actually I was quite amazed to see Gina and Kim Novak in it as well.

Every day is a school day...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28