Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Attacks.Simple new blood test

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Keeping us updated with brilliant new medical developments, this one will prove a massive help to patients and the NHS in general.

It is a simple blood test which will rule out heart attacks in those people admitted to Accident and Emergency units with severe chest pain (Currently 1,000,000 a year...which has tripled over the past 10 years)

The test assesses the level of troponin protein in the blood. If this is low, there is no heart attack present.

In real terms this means over 400,000 people would not require hospitalisation and could be discharged safely from our A/E depts

There would be no need for further tests such as repeated cardiac enzyme blood levels, cardiac monitoring, scans and stress testing.

The savings to the NHS would be massive. More importantly, the wellbeing of patients would be vastly improved

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2015/10/08/new-blood-test-for-heart-attacks-may-allow-safe...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Surely a no brainer.
To be able to save so many resources just by a simple test means so much more can be done with our struggling nhs budget.
What a brilliant news item.
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Another amazing development!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Obviously the A/E departments would make exactly the same preparations for someone being admitted with chest pain. The monitors, oxygen, defibrillators etc etc etc. Difference being they would now take cardiac troponin as the main blood test. How superb that people could be discharged from A/E if this test is clear.

A well known fact that chest pain is exacerbated when people think they are having a heart attack...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! Amazing news!
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that seems like a major breakthrough. Do you know if the nhs will adopt this procedure at all?

Message 6 of 17

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Fantastic breakthrough. So simple you would have thought the link would have been found before now Hero

Thanks for posting @Cleoriff

Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, that seems like a major breakthrough. Do you know if the nhs will adopt this procedure at all?

I think they will be queuing up to adopt it @Anonymous. The money it saves will be the deciding factor.

I also would go one step further and look at training paramedics to take the blood specimen when they are called out to attend. Then as soon as the patient arrives at hospital the specimen would be sent immediately to the path lab. Early results denote what treatment will be required, if any...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Interesting read, great find! Thanks for posting
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Cleoriff for posting

as someone who has been admitted to A & E with chest pains on a weekend, I was frightened, & this development is wonderful Fantastic

btw I was found to have chostochondritis (bad spelling) something to do with rib(s)

Message 10 of 17