For iPhone / iPad owners.

iOS 8.1 is now live to download.
Message 1 of 190
189 REPLIES 189

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Apple have recently launched the iOS 8.1 update for iPhone and iPad. Amongst the changes and additions they list the ability to switch between 2G, 3G & LTE/4G. We’d like to take the opportunity to clarify this due to the queries we’ve seen on it so far. Those networks which have not completed 4G certification with Apple, or do not have a 4G network will have these switches available – Other networks which are 4G/LTE certified (full list here > http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/) will not have these network options available to them.

This is a decision that Apple have taken and is unfortunately not something we’re able to change with our carrier file updates.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 91 of 190

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
So Chris, for clarity, iPhones on O2 will not have the ability to toggle 4G / 3G or 3G / 2G, at all.... ever ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 92 of 190

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
So Chris, for clarity, iPhones on O2 will not have the ability to toggle 4G / 3G or 3G / 2G, at all.... ever ?

That is correct, but to clarify - this is something that impacts all networks that are 4G certified with Apple. We're not in a position to say if this will change in the future as the control of these switches lay with them.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 93 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
That contradicts what Apple have said to me 😞

Apple say O2 have quite a lot of say about what happens with their carrier file.

Surly as a Network you have the leverage to talk to them about this.

I'm going to again contact Apple and ask them who has a say in this again.
Message 94 of 190

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

iOS 7.x devices still have the option to toggle 3G/2G.  iOS 8.x devices still have the 4G/3G toggle available but don't have the 3G/2G option...it's either 3G or nothing.

Message 95 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
It all falls on if a person upgrades to a 4G tariff.

I had the 3G toggle in my iPhone 5s until I uograded and it was replaced with the 4G toggle.

As far as I'm aware iOS does not affect this.
Message 96 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Upgraded your SIM to 4G or upgraded iOS?  Apple are making a big thing about this option being available in iOS v8.1 but it wasn't in v8, v8.0.1 or v8.0.2...does that mean even if you had a 3G only SIM and were on a pre-iOS v8.1 version of iOS 8, you would still not have the option of turning off 3G without completely disabling cellular data?

If true, it should mean that moving to a 3G SIM would bring the option back (at the expense of losing 4G, of course).  My wife has an iPhone 5 with a 3G SIM, so I'll try this later and see what happens.

Message 97 of 190

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@GeorgeStark wrote:

If true, it should mean that moving to a 3G SIM would bring the option back (at the expense of losing 4G, of course).  My wife has an iPhone 5 with a 3G SIM, so I'll try this later and see what happens.

I'd be interested to know if this works or not......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 98 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Chris_K

I'm not challenging what information you have been given but as a point of asking myself to Apple this is the info that's been given to me. To add this is all confusing as O2 are saying one thing and Apple are stating another. 

Transcipt. 

Nice chatting with you.
Here's the transcript of your chat with Apple Support:
iPhone 6 Plus Chat Transcript

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 06:04 PM
Duration: 32 minutes 20 seconds
Dave:
Thanks for contacting AppleCare chat support. My name is Dave. Please give me a moment to look over your information.
Dave:
HI Lee! How are you doing today?

Lee:
Hi Dave I'm good thank you very much. May I ask a question about iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 6 plus in connection to data CONNECTION

Dave:
Glad to hear you are doing good! I will be glad to help!
Dave:
What is your question Lee?

Lee:
iOS 8.1 has with many other improvements has now the ability to be able to add a toggle to switch from 2G to 3G to 4G/Lte is this correct ?

Dave:
Great question, when it comes to the Cellular settings that is still controlled mainly by the Carrier settings which is a separate update if they release one. With that said you may see the option to Enable LTE but that still will only work if you are in an area with LTE and if your carrier settings allow it.

Lee:
Okay I understand. Now is it Apple or my Uk Network O2 that has any say in the carrier update. Ie: is it O2 network that says to apple we want the option in the carrier file to add this 2G/3G toggle.

Dave:
That would be up to O2 to update your carrier settings.

Lee:
Ok. I've asked O2 because when I updated to iOS 8.1 the new toggle didn't add to where my 4G toggle is in the settings. The answer I've recently received is "Apple have recently launched the iOS 8.1 update for iPhone and iPad. Amongst the changes and additions they list the ability to switch between 2G, 3G & LTE/4G. Wed like to take the opportunity to clarify this due to the queries weve seen on it so far. Those networks which have not completed 4G certification with Apple, or do not have a 4G network will have these switches available Other networks which are 4G/LTE certified (full list here > http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/) will not have these network options available to them. This is a decision that Apple have taken and is unfortunately not something were able to change with our carrier file updates."

Dave:
Hmm ok let me check into this for you one moment.
Dave:
Thank you for your patience Lee.

Lee:
No worries.

Dave:
Still checking into this information for us again thank you for your patience Lee.

Lee:
No problem at all. Thank you so far.

Dave:
Ok after reviewing this information Lee, it is still up to the carrier to be able to create there carrier settings within the guidelines. They can still control the abilities allowed when it comes to changing carrier settings like changing your data connection.

Dave:
So I apologize it seems they may think its apple but this is still on there end.
Dave:
Make sense Lee?

Lee:
Hi - yes it does but it's still confusing as they are saying its at Apples end 😞 is their anyway I can save a transcript of our conversation so I can go back to my network and ask the question again. I'm on my iPhone 6 plus.

Dave:
No worries I actually have it setup to send you the chat script to your email as soon as we end the chat. Can I have you verify your email so I have the correct one?

Lee:
That would m be great. My e mail is REMOVED. 

Dave:
Ok good I have it all setup to send to you after this chat and I really hope they can give you a better and clear answer. We certainly do not have control over there systems of networks we can only modify the software within the phones.

Dave:
It has been wonderful meeting you Lee, and chatting with you today! If there is nothing more for now, please click "End Chat" at the bottom of our chat. After that you will have the option to have a copy of the chat session transcript emailed to you. You can choose yes or no on that. Have an awesome rest of your day!

Lee:
Thank you. Take care.
If you need more help later, open this case. You can then start a new chat session or choose another support option.

Case ID: 
Open this case

Sincerely,
Apple Support
TM and copyright © 2014
All Rights Reserved / Privacy Policy / Support
On behalf of Apple Distribution International

Message 99 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just had the same response from Apple Support. They say that to have the 3G/2g/LTE option available is determined by the network and not Apple, and are adamant about this. So O2 say it's Apple and Apple say its O2...now what?
Message 100 of 190