cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gumtree

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not a fan of these sites but I’ve resorted to using one to sell my old tv.

I’m getting messages from people, some from names... and others with the word ‘user’

My question is...

Are the messages from ‘user’ legit or is this some kind of thing to avoid using their names? And should I avoid dealing with them?

I’ve asked Gumtree the same question but they don’t seem to have ‘customer service’

Cheers

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92926 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It is people who have withheld their details. My choice would be to stay clear of them.

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @jonsie

It’s turning into a nightmare.. people promising to come and then not turning up, then not letting me know. Others saying they’ve got to travel from miles away so want money off.. and other **** excuses.

I knew there was a reason why I didn’t use these apps.. and I’ve been reminded why... again...

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the tv sold.. a lad and his dad of foreign origin.. (talking another language) then trying to knock me down £20 because they’d come so far (2 miles away!!!)
Glad I stuck firm because when I went outside to thank them.. Getting in a 69 plate Mercedes!!!
I had a Jim Royal ‘he’s a tight get’ moment!

Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92926 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well the tv sold.. a lad and his dad of foreign origin.. (talking another language) then trying to knock me down £20 because they’d come so far (2 miles away!!!)
Glad I stuck firm because when I went outside to thank them.. Getting in a 69 plate Mercedes!!!
I had a Jim Royal ‘he’s a tight get’ moment!

Well done for sticking to your guns @Anonymous 

I had quite the opposite experience, bought an electric fire (just for the coal effect) off Facebook Marketplace. Just messages back and forth and told the guy I would give him an extra tenner for fuel. He and his wife turned up @9pm with it and refused the money for fuel because they had seen on Facebook all my health problems. This despite a round trip of 12 miles.

Sort of restores your faith....

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess there is a(nother) benefit to Facebook then!
PS How on earth did they see all your personal stuff? Can’t you make it all private?

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92926 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can do but I've nothing to hide. They can't see sensitive stuff such as phone number, birthday, address etc.... or what I eat for breakfast smiling

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
fair do’s
Message 8 of 8