Did you mean: 

Guess the Word (Dictionary Day!)

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, how's your week going?

Today is Dictionary Day, which celebrates the birth of the famous American lexicographer, Noah Webster. He was born on October 16, 1758, and is best known for publishing the precursor of the now widely used Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

This day is meant to encourage everyone to improve and enhance the way we use our language skills in the study of the dictionary, and I thought it would be fun to learn some new words here on the community with a little word game. Smiley Very Happy

To make it a bit more interesting, I'll switch it around a bit: I'll paste a description of a word below, and you'll have to guess which word the description depicts. When one of you gets it right, anyone can follow and post the next description for others to guess. Mine is from a dictionary as it's Dictionary Day Smiley Very Happy but it doesn't have to be, you can also just describe what you mean with your own words/hints. I'll put an easy one first:

Description:

An openwork usually figured fabric made of thread or yarn and used for trimmings, household coverings, and entire garments

Word:

??

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Sounds like a jammy dodger...

Great guess! But nope grin

Message 11 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

Macaroons!

Message 12 of 55

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Macaroons!

Yes! You got it! thumbsup

Message 13 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Almonds.. ugh
Message 14 of 55

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Let's see who gets this one first: 

A large rounded orange-yellow fruit with a thick rind, the flesh of which can be used in sweet or savoury dishes.

nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 55

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Pumpkin?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 55

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Yep, you got it @Cleoriffjack_o_lantern Feel free to pick the next one, I'll go browse a dictionary in the meantime to see what I can find wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 17 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Definition: It can be  a dance or a sauce.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 55

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Salsa
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 55

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions