Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great British Bake Off 2021

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25130 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The popular TV show "Great British Bake Off" returns to Ch 4 next Tuesday - 21 September - with Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith and presented by Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding.

The contestants have been announced 

MiAmigo_0-1631782770016.jpeg

Left-right:
Crystelle. Lizzie, Freya. George, Chigs, Giuseppe, Amanda, Tom, Jairzeno. Rochica, Jürgen and Maggie

Crystelle, 26, client relationship manager from London inspired by Portugese-Goan-Kenyan heritage.

Lizzie, 28, car production operative from Liverpool, described as "frantic and messy on the outside but is usually calm and collected within" 

Freya, 19, psychology student from North Yorkshire, youngest baker in tent this year, vegan, says she likes to be "unexpected" with her baking.

George, 34, shared lives co-ordinator from London, from Greek-Cypriot family, says his strength is "creative flair"

Chigs, 40, sales manager from Leicestershire, used online tutorials during lockdown to learn complex bakes and chocolate work.

Giuseppe, 45, chief engineer from Bristol, Italian-born inherited baking from his father, a professional chef. 

Amanda, 56, Metropolitan Police detective in London, baking heavily influenced by her Greek-Cypriot heritage.

Tom, 28, developer for family software company in Kent, says baking was "a welcome escape" during lockdown.

Jairzeno, 51, head of finance in London, moved from Trinidad 15 years ago, obsesses over flavour cominations, particularly using Caribbean spices. 

Rochica, 27, junior HR business partner from Birmingham, turned to baking when unable to dance due to injury, says her weakness is "getting flustered and everything going wrong".

Jurgen, German-born, moved to UK 18 years ago, lives in Sussex, IT professional, started baking when couldn`t buy German bread. 

Maggie, 70, retired nurse and midwife from Dorset, oldest contestant - loves canoeing, sailing, going out in her campervan.

A real mix of ages and characters this time.

I love GBBO. 

Anyone else going to be watching?

As with previous series, why not give your feedback on the show, the contestants, and the baking rounds after the show?

Looking forward to GBBO 2021 and your comments from next week. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

This will be a quick one from me tonight. Problem is with GBBO going on for 90 mins, it interferes with other programmes I watch ie Silent Witness and Saving Lives at Sea. So it has to be recorded on +1.

I wanted to start off by saying my least favourite bakers are George, who insists on overflavouring everything he bakes, Jairzino, who is a bit clueless /messy and has no sense of timing and Lizzie from Liverpool, who is average at best, talks too much and has far too much airtime.

That aside this week was BISCUIT WEEK.

SIGNATURE DISH was Brandy Snaps.

Some did the traditional rolled brandy snap and others did a shell shape. Fillings varied. Pity is, we aren't told the best or worse although I doubt I would have eaten George or Jairzinos. 😂

TECHNICAL a variation of the Jammie Dodger

Who knew these would be so difficult? Mind you they did have to make the jam and filling.

1st ...Jurgen. (excellent baker)

2nd Guiseppe (who did mess up initially but did well to recover)

3rd..Freya.

The one who came last was Rochica. Who flapped a bit and her biscuits were underbaked,

SHOWSTOPPER

This challenge was to make a favorite toy out of biscuits.

I didn't see it all as I had a phone call from a family member. I did see some beautiful bakes including a snooker table and a Windmill.

The star baker and the one eliminated are under the spoiler tag. These spoiler tags are stupid btw. Pressed spoiler and suddenly all of @Mi-Amigo's opening post was there!!

More info
More info
Star Baker = Jurgen (again). Eliminated = Jairzeno.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25130 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff for a very good account of Biscuit Week on GBBO.

My thoughts

SIGNATURE - some good ideas [in theory] for versions of brandy snaps but so many made a real mess, and from what we could see and hear looked like some failed to produce a good "snap". I agree with @Cleoriff and wouldn`t fancy trying George`s.

TECHNICAL Jammie Dodgers - I slightly disagree with the judges. I thought Guiseppe was the best, closely followed by Jurgen, but agree Freya was third. Some of the others failed to come up to the challenge - in my opinion.

SHOW STOPPER. Some very creative ideas. I did like George`s aeroplane which did meet the challenge and sort of flew; Jurgen`s windmill and Freya`s rocking horse.

Now the results.

Jurgen - star baker. I think he didn`t have much opposition this week - with a good signature, 1st in technical, and his windmill shop stopper.

Eliminated [sharp intake of breath] - 

More info
Jairzeno

OK so ^^^ didn`t have the best week but wasn`t the worse.

Why the hell wasn`t Amanda booted off ? Worse baker last week [in my opinion] and saved again this week after she not only copied Freya`s idea but had to get Freya to "mend" her disaster, cheated by propping her rocking horse against a backdrop but that didn`t stop it falling apart into a heap - and yet Hollywood saves her !!!

I love GBBO but, to be honest, I`ve been disappointed with this series so far. There seems to be a lack of friendship and love in the tent which we witnessed and enjoyed a couple of years ago [check out the thread on Community]. I hope that we see an improvement next week, with GBBO being more fun and friendly and the worse baker gets chucked off [and I think you know who I mean].

Rant over. Gonna get a cup of tea [without a Jammie Dodger 😂] and off to give answers, results, awards for WRQ. 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 12 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No point in us doing spoilers really @Mi-Amigo 

1) they are hellish to do and unlike you above, I cant 'undo' my spoiler to write anything at the end (out of a spoiler)

2) I'm not stupid and know how they should work but on both occasions here they have caused me problems.

3) If only you and I are posting, then whats the point? 😂 We don't do it on Strictly and that's me and  Sheepdog. We wont do it on IACGMOOH either.

I tend to disagree with you on Amanda. I've disliked Jairzino from the start. His obsession in putting chili and hot spice into his bakes just don't do it for me. George should be next to go and maybe Amanda after that. She's a copper, that's why Hollywood saves her.😂

I do agree about the lack of camaraderie in this series. I blame the show director for that if honest and the way it's edited. Some people get far more airtime than others. Rarely do we see Chigs, Crystelle and Rochica. We see far too much of Lizzie who is slapdash and maybe not that bright. 🤣

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25130 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Totally agree @Cleoriff about the contestants.

Lizzie is getting far too much "screen time" and is way too much "in your face" with her antics.

Crystelle hardly gets a mention - even though she seemed to impress Paul last night and was genuinely shocked at his reaction. Maybe it`s because she seems to be quiet and not attention-seeking.

If GBBO was fair, then there`s every chance it`ll be between George and Amanda as to who gets chucked off next week. I`d really like to see Jugen and Guiseppe battle it out for star baker.

btw do we know what next week`s theme is ? As you probably know, my favourite week is Bread Week and I`m so looking forward to seeing how this lot cope with that !!

As to the spoilers ? Forget it... Going without them won`t spoil the thread.

I wish others would come and comment on the show. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 14 of 61

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Bread Week is next week, @Mi-Amigo ‌🍞‌! 

I agree with both you and @Cleoriff that there is quite a margin between how good some of the bakers are compared to others. I think after a couple of more weeks, there'll be a more talented and hopefully competitive group left in the tent. Jürgen seems to be in a league of his own 😂. But, everyone has their weaknesses so never know what can happen.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 15 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Forgot to mention it's @Mi-Amigo's favourite bread week  next @lewys-gp 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25130 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @lewys-gp and @Cleoriff 

BREAD WEEK next week - so happy at that...

It`s definitely my favourite week and am so not gonna miss it - "do not disturb" - and if I ain`t on the Community you`ll all know why 😂

Should be quite competitive and may see some wonderful creations from Jurgen and Guiseppe.

Hope the nurse [oops forgot her name] has a better week and Freya nails it with vegan bread.

Just to add, I`ve never baked a loaf in my life, but love freshly baked bread, and to me it always looks like there is some kinda skill needed to pull off a good loaf or bread creation.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 17 of 61

lewys-gp
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yeah, I forgot to mention how impressed I am with Freya and all the vegan bakes. It can't be easy pulling that off.

I've done a bit of baking here or there, but never an actual loaf as you've said. It may be a weekend activity in the making though 👀

Message 18 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I've made bread @lewys-gp. It was years ago now when there was a shortage of bread nationwide

It was damn awful. In the end I bought a bread maker and at last we had edible bread. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 61

lewys-gp
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

😂. Well, I'm very tempted to give it a go now. If I do, I'll post a photo in this thread!

Message 20 of 61