Great British Bake Off 2019

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Baking ustensils

Hey guys, 

I've just spotted that the contestant for this year's Great British Bake Off have now been revealed, which got me all excited for the upcoming series!

It's a great wholesome and delicious show that I love to watch, and I was wondering if any of you guys follow it too? 

Let me know how you like it, what your favourite themed week is, if there's any new theme you'd like to see, and if there's any contestant from the list you're looking forward to getting to know more through their baking creations!🧁🥖🍰🥧🥐

I always get really inspired while watching the Bake Off, so I might be using my oven and bringing more baked goods to the office during that time, and maybe share some pictures of what I make with you all as well if you'd like slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 172
171 REPLIES 171

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo I've never heard of the layered grilled cakes they did int he showstopper this week nor seen them anywhere before, but if @Seahorse does see it at any point in NERO I'd definitely love to know how it is!

I can't remember if Steph came first in a technical before .. but in this overview it seems she did come 1st once in a technical. So did Henry and Alice, our joint predicted/preferred top 3 I believe?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 111 of 172

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @EmilieT for the link to the results so far.

It is interesting that in the technical

- Alice won twice [week 2 biscuits; week 6 desserts]

- Henry won twice [week 1 cake; week 3 bread]

- Steph won once [week 4 dairy]

and as to Star Baker

- Alice was Star Baker once [week 2 biscuit, when 1st in technical]

- Henry was Star Baker once [week 7 festivals, when 3rd in technical]

- Steph was Star Baker three times [week 4 dairy, when 1st in technical; week 5 Roarin 20s, when 4th in technical; week 6 desserts, when 3rd in technical]

So it looks like that success in technical goes some way towards being Star Baker.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 112 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo When looking through everything on this link it made me realise how I really didn't remember who had come in first in technical or got star baker over the weeks rolling_eyes sweat_smile

signature

Message 113 of 172

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

However, I find it interesting that Steph who has been star baker 3 times, is the ONLY one who came  10th in a technical challenge.

Neither Henry or Alice have been as low as that.

*Apologies Alice came 6th (last) in last weeks technical.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 114 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff and @EmilieT 

The Sun today [Friday] has given a few clues to next week`s Pastry Week Quarter Final of GBBO:

More info

Signature: savory - based on a French classic

Technical: multi-layered Moroccan pastry

ShowStopper: pastry tower, showing expertise with pastry and construction 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 115 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo Very intrigued by that signature, looking forward to seeing what it's like ... nerd

signature

Message 116 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff and @EmilieT 

With Word Hunt Diamond running, I shall be watching GBBO on catchup tomorrow [Wed] night...

I`m really looking forward to it, as Pastry Week is my second favourite week [after Bread Week], and in my opinion, it is too close to call who will be Star Baker.  

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 117 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I will be watching it later tonight. I shall post anything relevant under a spoiler

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 118 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ok here's my spoiler

More info
Signature dish was a savoury Tarte Tartin. Not sure who the winner was as they never tell you?
Technical was a Morrocan Pie...Very interesting and difficult. Steph got really upset during this one.
Henry came 5th, Steph 4th, Alice 3rd, Rosie 2nd and David 1st (for the first time!)
Showstopper was a pastry tower (or Vertical pie)...pies on top of each other...
Mixed results with this one.
Anyway Steph got Star Baker and Henry was eliminated (wrong decision re Henry imo)
Next week semi final

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 119 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

The temptation to click on that spoiler tag is strong @Cleoriff ... but I'll have to wait until I've caught up myself! grimacing

signature

Message 120 of 172