Did you mean: 

Grand National 2019 is on Saturday! 🏇

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone! 

The Grand National, "the world's greatest steeplechase", is approaching fast and runs this weekend in Aintree on Saturday 6th April.

I wasn't very familiar with this myself, so did some reading online. There's a whole festival built around it! Have any of you ever attended this?

The entertainment starts on Thursday (today) with some music (The Mersey Beatles are performing!) and of course, horse racing. Friday is Ladies Day with of course horse racing, but also all the stylish hats and fashion being spotlighted, celebrating individuality and creativity. And then Saturday is the Grand National day with the main race, which I read takes about 8 minutes, with 40 runners and riders taking part in Jumps racing.

ITV have the broadcasting rights for this one until 2020, so you can follow the race from home on TV, or via their live stream on the ITV website or the ITV player app.

Do any of you follow horse racing and interested in checking out this one on Saturday? 🐴🐴🐴

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Just to add this statement from the League Against Cruel Sports re The Grand National

https://www.league.org.uk/news/grand-national-should-be-suspended-until-horseracing-is-safer?fbclid=...

The League Against Cruel Sports is once again calling on Aintree Racecourse and the British Horseracing Authority to put vital safety measures in place for the horses running the Grand National.

The call is being made following figures released by the BHA that show the number of horse deaths on racecourses have reached a six-year high. In 2018 alone, 201 horses lost their lives during competitive races, but the League says just one death would be one death too many.

Due to take place at Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool on Saturday [April 06], the Grand National is one of the most arduous race on the National Hunt calendar.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 42

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with what has been posted above

All cruel sports should be banned 

Message 13 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

This is my final post about this 'race'.

It's an article from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).

I know PETA hold extreme views and I don't agree with all of them, though this article provides undisputed facts about the Grand National.

PETA ARTICLE

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 42

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

100% agree with you @Glory1 

It is shameful to "don" the red coat get on a "steed" charge off with and  set 100 hounds after a defenceless little fox ~ have these halfwits got no shame?  

(not to forget the hunting horn to add even more daft sounds to the event)    

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 42

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 

There is a great depth of feeling by many decent and concerned people about the rights, health and wellbeing of our animals.  There is much to be concerned about Horse Racing with Jumps is one. 

I know it is surprising to you especially as this event is built up by the media and there is much money

staked on this race and the pressures to make money often come before the wellbeing of our

wonderful partners in life ~ animals.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 16 of 42

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not ashamed but proud to say that I have been a member of the League Against Cruel Sports, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and similar animal protection societies.

Societies such as these are not extremists. The extremists are those who seek pleasure and gain from the inflicting of cruelty on the creatures with whom we share this planet. Such acts in violation of the lives of our fellow creatures can be combatted, not by vengance acts of violence but by consumer power - the effective action of boycott. By simply refusing to attend, watch, and purchase anything connected with the abuse of animals sends a clear message to those who participate in, advocate, promote, publicise this abuse, who have, do, and will take notice when profits from such abuse are at stake.   

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 17 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I think The PETA article I posted about the Grand National shows some damn convincing facts about that 'sport' !!

Problem is, it's a rich 'mans' sport and they see it as a 'spectacle'. The money poured into it is pretty obscene. Whilst the sentiment of boycotting is all well and good, it's not enough as it will never happen. Not while there is money to be made.

I have been a member of the League Against Cruel Sports for years. Fox Hunting is banned in this country. Who upholds the ban?

No-one, as we still see RICH people defying the law and riding out with the hounds most weekends.

I don't see any jail sentencess for them!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 42

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Most of these sports, and I use the term sports very loosely, are rich mens' sports. You don't see your average man participating in them, he can't afford it.

Fox hunting I find nauseating. I just don't understand what pleasure anyone can derive from watching hounds tear a poor fox to pieces. It appals me that despite the ban the practice continues. No one is jailed; no one is fined. So much for justice and obeying the law. That's just for the likes of you and me.

They say money talks. Well it certainly does with fox hunting and the Grand National.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 19 of 42

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I remember watching it and a horse and jokey fell the rider was lucky to not get seriously hurt a horse did go on his leg and it made a few other horses fall and the commentators were like the rider and horse ok but they put the horse down and since then I didn't watch ever after that
Message 20 of 42