Did you mean: 

Grand National 2019 is on Saturday! 🏇

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone! 

The Grand National, "the world's greatest steeplechase", is approaching fast and runs this weekend in Aintree on Saturday 6th April.

I wasn't very familiar with this myself, so did some reading online. There's a whole festival built around it! Have any of you ever attended this?

The entertainment starts on Thursday (today) with some music (The Mersey Beatles are performing!) and of course, horse racing. Friday is Ladies Day with of course horse racing, but also all the stylish hats and fashion being spotlighted, celebrating individuality and creativity. And then Saturday is the Grand National day with the main race, which I read takes about 8 minutes, with 40 runners and riders taking part in Jumps racing.

ITV have the broadcasting rights for this one until 2020, so you can follow the race from home on TV, or via their live stream on the ITV website or the ITV player app.

Do any of you follow horse racing and interested in checking out this one on Saturday? 🐴🐴🐴

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@liggerz87 

When a horse or jockey falls, my sympathy is always with the horse. The jockey has a choice whether to race. The horse doesn't. Also they wouldn't shoot the jockey in the head if he was injured. devil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 42

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
So true @Cleoriff
Message 22 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@liggerz87 

......Also they wouldn't shoot the jockey in the head if he was injured. devil

Perhaps they should Crazy shooting animated emoticon

Message 23 of 42

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think The PETA article I posted about the Grand National shows some damn convincing facts about that 'sport' !!

Problem is, it's a rich 'mans' sport and they see it as a 'spectacle'. The money poured into it is pretty obscene. Whilst the sentiment of boycotting is all well and good, it's not enough as it will never happen. Not while there is money to be made.

I have been a member of the League Against Cruel Sports for years. Fox Hunting is banned in this country. Who upholds the ban?

No-one, as we still see RICH people defying the law and riding out with the hounds most weekends.

I don't see any jail sentencess for them!!

@Cleoriff  I totally agree with you point and perhaps I should have clarified my point in respect of boycotts. What I meant was it is a one way in which the general public can do something positive. That said at the end of the day there is big money invested in animal abuse.

As you correctly said, none of those who go hunting are ever arrested. At the meet before going hunting, the stirrup cup of alcohol is passed round. Technically, and legally, a huntsperson could be stopped and breathalised and if over-the-limit (as in drink-driving) be prosecuted but it has never happened, whilst in the past those who opposed hunting were arrested. Groups such as the Hunt Sabateurs, who never hurt an animal or endangered the lives of any huntsperson but merely distracted the hounds with calls and harmless false scent, were prosecuted and branded as violent. 

Every effort was made to prevent a ban on hunting and we ended up with a watered-down Act which means nothing because of the support for hunting from landed gentry, members of the House of Lords and the idle rich. 

For every form of animal abuse, the abusers put forward excuses which don`t hold water when subjected to proper scrutiny. And if these excuses are challenged then opponents to the abuse are branded as "animal lovers", "nutters", or "violent anarchists".

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie 

Thought I would just mention how much I love your new signature...Said The Mad Hatter wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 42

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

The Queen of Hearts also approves Alice's new signature.

It's perfect and I love it smiling

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 26 of 42

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie  The Dormouse reckons that is one brilliant signature and @Mi-Amigo agrees thumbsup Drum

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 42

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

On a more upsetting note, 2 horses have died at the Grand National Festival today rage

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/other-sport/horse-racing/grand-national-injuries-deaths-live-1...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 42

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There's a far better spectacle of HUMAN endurance and strength on Sunday. If you want a bet then get your money on Oxford or Cambridge to win the Boat Race, after all there is a 2 : 1 chance of winning.

Message 30 of 42