Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Long overdue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31616523

Indeed it is...and should come into force in April. However, I watched the news this morning and it appears we could still have problems from those 'international cold callers'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I hope they are going to start more diligent and stringent measures against these companies. We will no doubt find out but I have my doubts that we will see any mass reduction in cold and nuisance calls.

Message 3 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Indeed it is...and should come into force in April. However, I watched the news this morning and it appears we could still have problems from those 'international cold callers'

Yes, there will still be problems from calls coming from outside the UK's jurisdiction. We'll just have to wait and see if this new move has any legs. 

I've mentioned this before, but when I get these calls from overseas, I used to just swear at them. Then they started swearing back, so I stopped that. Now when they call, I answer by telling them they've reached the Metropolitan Police, and can I help? They hang up immediately. I haven't had a call for months.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I've mentioned this before, but when I get these calls from overseas, I used to just swear at them. Then they started swearing back, so I stopped that. Now when they call, I answer by telling them they've reached the Metropolitan Police, and can I help? They hang up immediately. I haven't had a call for months.

Metropolitan Police??  I must try that one.....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Excellent advice @Bambino I will certainly do that next time I recieve one of these calls.

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I prefer the silent treatment or letting them listen to whatever is on the tv at the time.

Message 7 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

How do they plan to trace the companies that spoof the number that they're phoning from 

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just what I was thinking too....
How on earth will this be enforced???
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Excellent advice @Bambino I will certainly do that next time I recieve one of these calls.

You are more likely to end up in  Court for imitating a police officer than they are for cold calling! Smiley Very Happy

The thing that really annoys me about cold calls is when I ask them why they are calling me - some of them say "You must have indicated on a website that you would be happy to receive calls/information from other companies".  And that may indeed have been so in the past when I was new to Internet Shopping,  but one has to be very careful nowadays to read webpages very, very carefully when buying online.   They have sneaky ways to "trick" the unwary (i.e. eejits like me) into agreeing to be contacted by phone, by email, by sms etc. Sometimes you have to put a tick to  agree to these arrangements, other times you have to tick to say NO . I don't want any of this.   So it will be interesting to see exactly how "cold calling" is defined and who will have to prove what in the event of any disputes.

Message 10 of 13