cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got your eye on an Internet connected Coffee maker? might want to read this first

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://securingtomorrow.mcafee.com/other-blogs/mcafee-labs/mr-coffee-with-wemo-double-roast/

Shows how buggy firmware can allow someone to bypass your home network's security. no matter how careful you might have been.

I do wonder if the Internet of Things is becoming a bit too pervasive for comfort.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I do wonder just how secure you can make your home. They all thought keyless cars were the way forward and just look what's happened there. Apparently they are the easiest cars to steal nowadays.

Message 2 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Doesn't surprise @Anonymous
Funny though @jonsie Years ago I left my mini in a private car park overnight when back a.m. to pick up ALL 4 wheels gone!🤓

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122367 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I do wonder just how secure you can make your home. They all thought keyless cars were the way forward and just look what's happened there. Apparently they are the easiest cars to steal nowadays.

That's true @jonsie 

One day my husband left his key of our Kuga in the boot which locked automatically.  He was going to get me to come down to the bowls club with his spare. Then one of his mates told him of a way round it. If he left his phone open on the call to me but next to the unlock on the car, and I pressed the spare key, the signal would be picked up by his phone and unlock the car.

I didn't believe it for a minute...however, I was 2 miles away from him at home and lo and behold it worked.

In our area there are a lot of Kuga models going missing. frowning2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got a couple of smart TVs, streaming sticks, Echo Dots and a Hive hub with smart bulbs and thermostat connected but I certainly wouldn't go for so called smart locks or linking my home alarm system to the net.

Everything that can apply updates automatically is set up to do so (particularly my router which also acts as my network firewall) but I tend to go round at least every couple of weeks checking that firmware versions are up to date and applying manually if required, sad I know but better to be safe than sorry.

Message 5 of 5