cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a Draytek router? Best update your firmware

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.draytek.com/en/download/firmware/

There's a vulnerability in some firmware versions that allows your DNS servers to be changed remotely without your knowledge.

Some ISPs have started to implement blocks on the IP addresses of the rogue DNS servers these routers are being switched to so if you have one and are having trouble accessing the 'net and have one of these routers, use the above link to download and install the latest firmware.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

A good heads up @Anonymous. This may be related to this worldwide advisory, although Draytek isn't mentioned by name in it. https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

The issue may well be spreading, though, so updating your router's firmware is never a bad idea.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes good advice @Bambino and @Anonymous but I'm still very sceptical about the warnings personally but that's just how I am with what I think is scare-mongering on a worldwide scale. However, people should be aware of security and all products, be it routers or phones etc, should be updated to the latest software and the security updates installed by regularly checking. Again, passwords should be difficult to guess or hack and changed at regular intervals. It is good to warn people what could happen otherwise.

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't think this is scare-mongering, @jonsie. These recent warnings have been passed through every major news source, and I would presume they've done their research before putting out this advisory. They're not trying to sell anything, or get people to upgrade to new hardware. It costs nothing to update firmware, and it might protect you a little bit more. I think there are many people (myself included) who don't understand all the ways computers can be compromised, so warning users to update isn't a bad thing.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As I said on your thread @Bambino and will say this here....it's frightening. Therefore I appreciate all the warnings given...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie

@Bambino

You'd be shocked to find how many people don't bother installing O/S and device firmware updates because it takes time from whatever they are wanting to do so they say they'll do it later but never do and their system can become a server for bad stuff.

This is one of the reasons Microsoft went to enforced updates in Windows 10 because people weren't applying the patches.

Routers tend to be 'set and forget' and this kind of exploit is about harvesting passwords and personal info in an insdious manner.

Message 6 of 7

Bambino
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous I wouldn't be shocked in the least, which is why I posted this yesterday:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/WARNING-HOME-ROUTER-HACK/m-p/1128071

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7