Not applicable
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I agree and not before time either....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I'm not sure. Reading around it seems to target phones at the moment: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-blocks-gapps-uncertified-devices-custom-rom-whitelist/ so gets me thinking is this some part of a bigger plan to restrict Android to those manufacturers who will now need to pay a licence to use the name after years of being "free and open source"**. Which it really wasn't....

That was redefined recently when Oracle won in court recently on the use of Java and Google has slowly been moving away from using Java so my conspiracy mode is in full activation mode!

It seems to me this is a slow killing of the innovation in the SBC (Small Board Computers) that use the AOSP variant uses. Eventually you can't do anything because its locked down and you (as a single user/developer) are not going to pay a fee to unlock the features you want to use on every device id. 

**and of course this really shouldn't be a surprise as Google just last week or so decided that if you use Google Maps to provide a service e.g. as a developer to point out your location for say a business, you will now need to provide your credit card details. But you get $200 free credit each month that you may never use but your credit card details are now mandatory just in case you may go over. 

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog

Not really surprised if they do introduce a licencing fee as in fairness they do provide the backend infrastructure for it and are promoting it as a secure choice for a range of applications.

Message 4 of 12

Korkmaz
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Don't buy Android phones, Google is a spying company. Apple is bad too, but not as bad.

CrazyOz - Free UK Classified Ads
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Korkmaz wrote:

Don't buy Android phones, Google is a spying company. Apple is bad too, but not as bad.

You may have a problem trying to convince a few billion people worldwide not to buy Android LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well they can spy all they like.  Spying goes on with all types of data and apps you use. It's the 21st century after all. I have also had Android phones for years and as I have done nothing wrong, no-one has come knocking at my door yet....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Korkmaz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Most people are hopelessly ignorant, like with the whole facebook thing. I knew that stuff way back. And if you want people to spy on you, that's ok, but I like my privacy.

Also Children need is funny, it's always millionaires going on there asking poor and middle class people to give money. Later on you find out that some of those millionaires on that show are peedos and tax dodgers. It's ridiculous. The people who really need the money, never see it too. Look up what percentage of your hard earned money goes to charities vs the organisers.

I never give to charities anymore (yes I was ignorant too once). Now I just help out people I see around me  like buying food for the homeless.

CrazyOz - Free UK Classified Ads
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You do what pleases you and I'll do the same for myself, but i won't be attempting to force my opinion on anyone.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Same goes for me. If I want to give to any charity and I do, I will continue with it. As I said an another thread @Korkmaz you stick to your opinion and you must allow others to have theirs.

No point coming here just to make random rants about Google, FB, Children in Need and the Royal family.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12