cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Moving Closer to Submitting their Maps App for iOS as Eddy Cue Works to Improve Apple's Maps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Although the new Apple Maps app gets a lot of stick, I actually like it. Used as a spoken turn by turn navigation, I think it is extremely good.

When the Google Maps app gets into the App Store, in my opinion this will provide people with the best of both worlds. What do you guys think?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/15/google-moving-closer-to-submitting-maps-app-for-ios-as-eddy-cue-...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can't believe Apple won't sort out any issues with their version.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I bet apple will find some way of blocking it from their store.

Isn't there a rule to not recreating apps that mimic apples own apps?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

I can't believe Apple won't sort out any issues with their version.

There's apparantly been corrections to the misinformation on the Apple Maps app (from what I've read on various forums/websites).

Other than a spoken turn by turn navigation app, the Apple Maps app isnt as good in some aspects to the Google Maps app. But in fairness, its early days yet for the Apple Maps app, so hopefully future updates will improve it further. The old Google Maps app did not receive any updates from its inclusion on the first iPhone in 2007 till it was removed with iOS 6. One positive for the Maps app been in Apple's control now is that it should receive updates as time goes on.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
I bet apple will find some way of blocking it from their store.

Isn't there a rule to not recreating apps that mimic apples own apps?

I think if they did try to block it, they would receive a lot of bad publicity for it. I think the best thing to do is approve the app and let it slip quietly into the App Store.

I can't say that I've heard that rule.

Message 5 of 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry just found where I read the "rule"

2. Duplicate Apple's software. The iPhone comes with a set of pre-installed software that provides basic functions, such as voice calling, SMS, email, MP3 playing, and Web browsing. Duplicate any of those and you're out, even -- or maybe especially -- if you improve on Apple's offerings. Just ask Google, or any of the various developers who came up with podcast software for the platform

It's from a article so its not a real rule:(

My bad.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Where do you draw the line in the sand?

Nokia has their own maps, Garmin, Tomtom....what I want is NASA/JPL Maps.

More info
More info
:manvery-happy:

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 7