Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Account Hacked

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Just a word of warning to anyone with a Google account.

At 10.45 last night I received a login code from Google (2 step verification process). Shortly after I was emailed to say that Google had blocked suspicious activity on my account. looking into it further  I could see that someone from an ip address that was registered in Georgia, USA had attempted to log in to my account.

This could have been a genuine mistake by someone trying to log into their account or it could have been malicious, but without the 2 step verification it could have been quite serious!

I urge anyone who uses Google to take advantage of the excellent built in security they offer and set up 2 step verification on your account, just in case......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very good advice, let's all stay safe out there! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay, I followed your advice and set up the 2 step verification process. I also changed my Google password. I can log in online, but now I'm getting a sign-in error message on my phone. I have a very old HTC Desire. When I enter the new password on my phone it says it's incorrect which it can't be as I can sign in on my PC. I'm definitely not typing it wrong on the phone. Any ideas as how I can rectify this? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 12

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for this MI5,

Safety is so important these days! 😞
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 12

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Bambino....if you want a complex password, save it as a txt file on your handset. Open up the file in a editor and copy/paste this into the form. Note: some characters are not recognised on the Android font character map, so make sure no placeholders are being used (replaced by a ?).

http://www.passwordmeter.com/

I recommend this website for setting up unique and hard to crack passwords. 16 characters should be safe although if you want to deter people even further use 64 characters or more.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 12

Bambino
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Bambino....if you want a complex password, save it as a txt file on your handset. Open up the file in a editor and copy/paste this into the form. Note: some characters are recognised on the Android font character map, so make sure no placeholders are being used (replaced by a ?).

http://www.passwordmeter.com/

I recommend this website for setting up unique and hard to crack passwords. 16 characters should be safe although if you want to deter people even further use 64 characters or more.

Thanks for the reply anticipated, but the problem I'm having isn't with the complexity of the password, it's with not being able to sign in to my account on my phone. When I enter the password that I sign in with on my PC, my phone is bringing up an error message saying that I entered the wrong password or my account has changed. I know the password is correct because I can sign in to Google on my PC. I've rebooted the phone and cleared the cache and it still won't let me sign in. Can't figure out what to do next? Any ideas?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 12

Bambino
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Problem solved. I went onto my Gmail account online and found a solution. Apparently the 2 step verification doesn't work straight away with Android 2.3 or less. I had to generate an Application Specific Password to get back into my account. Not very easy to understand the instructions on the Google site at first as to how to do this, but I got there in the end. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Good to hear Bambino
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, when you set up the 2 step verification it does warn you that some applications can't support 2 step verification and if you follow through by clicking on "Next" at the bottom of the page it takes you through the process.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Bambino
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I didn't expect Gmail on my phone to be one of the applications it didn't support. I think having the 2 step verification is a good thing, though. Hopefully if anyone else has the same problem as I did they will be able to refer back to this thread for an answer.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 12