Giving blood

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
How many people do it?

The most important thing for me is....

Has anyone got any tips on how to get my veins to show better?

Today I had to abandon a blood letting, the vampiress stuck me 5 times before getting a trickle which proceeded to dry out pretty quickly:(

I've been 43 times so far and I've been stuck at least twice each session.

Now I've got a low body fat percentage, I'm fit and I eat and drink well.

Any help?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Saw the thread title and assumed you were going to say you'd just signed a new contract for an iphone slight_smile

It's possible that you've got scarring after so many jabs - it's also possible that the nurse was less than talented (diplomatic or what ;)).

There's no sure and certain way to get your veins to pop but there are a couple of things that will usually help (other than spending a few hours in the gym before hand).   Drink loads of water a couple of hours before, keep your whole body warm - not just your arm - try to keep your arm hanging down before hand - even when sitting waiting and maybe park the car a mile away and walk briskly to the centre or van to get the blood flowing.

Regardless - sometimes it just won't happen no matter what (try telling the nurse that it's not her and it's never happened to you before etc etc - same excuses you give the wife ;)).

I give blood and haven't had a problem yet.   My ex had DVTs which meant seeing a phlebotomist every month and the warfarin she used meant that she'd bleed if she even looked at a needle but even she occasionally had a dry-run (except that they couldn't give up trying in her case and would poke around until they hit paydirt).

Message 2 of 22

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I hang my arm down towards the ground and make hand clenches.

Works every time. slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A couple of glasses of red wine before hand works well wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I used to have no problems giving blood, very prominent veins! Alas I am now rejected as a blood donor due to various ailments, apparently I need it more than anyone else.Smiley Very Happy

A heartfelt thanks to all donors, it's a wonderful thing to do.

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

How weird, been today to give blood. The technician as they are called decided that it would be nice to route around in my arm with the needle. 

My arm is doing a nice impression of Mikhail Gorbachev.

Message 6 of 22

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha I know that feeling:(

Pretty sure she was trying to connect the tunnels she made in my arm:(

If the bruises spread any further ill have to change my ethnicity grin
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have regrettably not been for a long time but my sisters partner was in a pretty bad accident yesterday and lost a fair bit of blood so felt the need too. 

Really should go more often especially as I live 5 minutes walk form the hospital.

Message 8 of 22

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry to hear that:( hope he's doing better
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

His fault I am afraid, he came of his motorbike. Has a triple fracture of the left femur, broken collar bone. He was due to be operated on yesterday but they wanted to make sure he was stable first. 

Just waiting for him to come out of surgery as I type.

Message 10 of 22