Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardeners in the O2 Community

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello! Enjoying looking through the queries and different topics occasionally but recently time has been limited by lots of gardening work at the end of the season. I have six upright growing Apple Trees and 5 upright growing pear trees called Minarettes closely pruned to keep columnar. Summer prune to shape whilst fruit still on and to keep them about 600mm apart.  Fruit then ripens as normal and picking September.  I have a mini plum tree also has summer prune to keep in shape.  A fig tree (given part of a very old one) growing in a large pot, also  patio peach and nectarine trees growing in 2 very large pots.  If I have too many fruits I make a mixed fruit jam with all the different fruits.  My passion is my Bees Osmia rufa ~ Red Mason Bee ~ an early pollinator and a sweet and gentle bee.  I breed these in special tubed boxes every year.  They are super pollinators and love fruit trees!  So we all enjoy the season!  Love to hear from other gardeners.  

Happiness is bee shaped!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Marjo,

Don't think you can get away with not having a plant! Even though you have little tigers there.

Buy a brass hook ~ get a step ladder ~ test for a joist and hang from ceiling in a Hanging basket.

Yes I suppose you need to water it though ~  or

I used to put small decorative pots into a white rope style hanger with look-a-like plant in.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 21 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hanging baskets sounds like a good idea @TallTrees! I might give that a go. Maybe not in my current flat anymore as I'm moving soon anyway, but in the next one. I like colours so I'm already thinking of some colourful baskets to hang from the ceiling. slight_smile slight_smile

OH yes @Cleoriff you're right, I forgot I had posted a picture. Can't find it now though. It was a lovely plant while it lasted... for a couple of weeks tops. grin I remember Drake was chewing on the leaves (annoying but tolerable, was non-poisonous of course). Arthur started to swat the leaves... ok still tolerable. But it was not fine anymore when they both started to dig into the dirt (mostly Arthur), spreading it everywhere. Then the uprooting started (Arthur of course) and I came home to plant parts and dirt everywhere, the pot (which was not even a small one!) upside-down and cats looking like "What are you looking at, I haven't done anything".

LOL I kept the pot as a cat toy holder and sometimes find it's made its way downstairs "on its own" when I come home from work with all the toys spread across the stairs. tongue

Message 22 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hanging baskets are very pretty.  Inside and outside.  

My cat not interested in anything but food really!

Liked to nip out and take the lids off the milk bottles (days gone by that is)

tip over and drink milk......not that she was deprived just greedy I think!devil

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 23 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Hanging baskets are very pretty.  Inside and outside.  

My cat not interested in anything but food really!

Liked to nip out and take the lids off the milk bottles (days gone by that is)

tip over and drink milk......not that she was deprived just greedy I think!devil

Aww bless her sweat_smile

Message 24 of 53

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Not tried freezing yet @TallTrees but apparently they keep their colour, flavor and heat pretty will so I'll keep you posted. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 25 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Martin-O2 

Please let me know. They may be ok as red/green/yellow capsicum peppers are frozen to use ~

but don't have much body after cooking ~

chillies are tougher so may freeze better.

I prefer to use fresh chillies but can't do this all the time.

I freeze Corriander leaves as they do not last long even in jar of water.

They freeze quite well ~ I put in freeze bag and then use scissors to

cut off leaves which are fine when used in curries.  They are also nice

in pasta sauce. They do look a bit clumped up!  naturally anguished

However can't be going out to by fresh coriander all the time.

ByeWave TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 26 of 53

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'll let you know @TallTrees! I'm harvesting the remaining fruits this weekend so I'll do a test freeze on a few to see how it goes. laughing

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 27 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello Martin-O2

That would be great and interesting to know how a chilli was when frozen!Good Idea

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 28 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees

I'm more black fingered than green fingered I have to say.

I either under or over water anything I try to grow and that includes Cacti and Sunflowers so I don't do it now!

Message 29 of 53

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@TallTrees good thread sir.

As for the actual gardening, thats me out. I'll stay inside tv

Message 30 of 53