Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardeners in the O2 Community

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello! Enjoying looking through the queries and different topics occasionally but recently time has been limited by lots of gardening work at the end of the season. I have six upright growing Apple Trees and 5 upright growing pear trees called Minarettes closely pruned to keep columnar. Summer prune to shape whilst fruit still on and to keep them about 600mm apart.  Fruit then ripens as normal and picking September.  I have a mini plum tree also has summer prune to keep in shape.  A fig tree (given part of a very old one) growing in a large pot, also  patio peach and nectarine trees growing in 2 very large pots.  If I have too many fruits I make a mixed fruit jam with all the different fruits.  My passion is my Bees Osmia rufa ~ Red Mason Bee ~ an early pollinator and a sweet and gentle bee.  I breed these in special tubed boxes every year.  They are super pollinators and love fruit trees!  So we all enjoy the season!  Love to hear from other gardeners.  

Happiness is bee shaped!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Marjo,Thanks for your message.  Hope you find a good home soon.  You can plant during the winter unless the ground is frozen but new plants prefer Spring planting and most garden centres get fresh stock in then.  During winter you can plant bulbs in pots crocus, daffodils the little tete-a-tete mini daffodils  are really nice in pots, tulips of all sizes to suit pots these are pots for colour in spring, most supermarkets have these already in pots but they do need to be outside.  You can buy Hyacinths for outdoors and indoors these have a lovely smell.  The indoor ones often come already planted up to enjoy over winter in your home, all you need to do is water them.  I used to live in a flat and had indoor plants in pots like "spider plant" very easy going thin long leaves green and yellow strip then grows little plantlets off on a long stalk hence the name, nothing to do with spiders! so don't worry!

Bye for now TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 11 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Martin-O2

Wow they look hot!  Absolutely fabulous.  

Thanks for the photo.

Bye for now TallTrees 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Marjo,

Thought you would like to see my "spider plant"

WP_20180926_13_45_50_Pro (2).jpgIt is hanging outside as it is summery but won't be out much longer! It is quite happy inside.

Bye for now TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have plants indoors during the winter @Marjo.

I have cyclamen, which have flowered every year in pots in the conservatory.

Pink Clematis

Hyacinths which smell gorgeous

Image result for Indoor hyacinths images

Once, I also had an indoor tub of daffodils. They are a bit more difficult to grow indoors but give you loads of winter colour...

Image result for Images of indoor daffodils

PS none of these are my own photo's ....just an example of what you can have indoors if keen enough wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 53

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@TallTrees They ended up hotter then a lot of the shop brought ones I've had! 

I'm planning on drying half, and freezing half of the remaining ones as I need to harvest them before the first frost. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Lovely! I can't have any plants (not even fake plastic ones) in my flat as my cats will absolutely destroy them and I mean smash, throw, claw, chew you name it. A conservatory would be so lovely @Cleoriff! Look at all those colours. heart Maybe I'll have a house one day in the future and have a conservatory there. It would definitely be filled with plants! 

@TallTrees Oh yes I recognise that, cheers for the photo! I used to have a spider plant when I didn't have cats living with me. I managed to kill it somehow pretty quickly myself though... probably didn't water it enough.

Message 16 of 53

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marjo

Didn't you post a photo once of Drake or Arthur upending  one of your tall plants in the flat? The dirt was all over the floor?

I may have got this wrong ...if so, forgive me Drake and Arthur for maligning your 'good name' Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi there,

Looking around my garden I also have violas and pansies all grow at the end of the year.

These could be planted on top of the Crocus in the pot the crocus will grow through them and

they give you a flower now.

Hope this helps.  Lots of best wishes TallTrees

Photo of my Viola/pansies

WP_20180926_15_34_37_Pro (2).jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 53

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi Martin-O2