Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gamers - Microsoft's purchase of Activision Blizzard

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5729 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

This might be of interest to those who are gamers, with Call of Duty being particularly referenced :-

Microsoft Activision: What does deal mean for gamers? - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67066870

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Hmm that's more modern gamers I think. Personally I can't get into these FPS types of games. Something about the controls just disorientates me to the point I just give up. Same with the football games which I'd really like to play but cannot fathom the controls. 

Mind you, I knew Activision from way back in the 80's so there's a decent backlog of nostalgia to go through on my MisTER setup that won't require a big download. 

Message 2 of 5

Oxonian
  • 5729 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@sheepdog 

I'm not really a gamer myself but I do still have a Windows 95 setup that I fire up occasionally to pay Simon the Sorcerer and Prince of Persia. But I thought that the article might be of passing interest ; whether or not Microsoft buying the business is positive or negative would presumably not be known for some time.  

Message 3 of 5

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I do have an XBox Series S which I definitely think is a way forward for modern gaming. As in you subscribe to a package and its an almost all-you-can-play scenario without committing to buying it. Certainly worked for me as some games I had expectations for but got let down so saved a lot of money by trying it. No longer subscribe as my time for games is limited but there are enough free games to justify having a console on top  of using it as a TV streamer. 

I particularly liked how they had some XBox 360 games available (I also own) so kind of provided extended life to older games without needing another device. In the last decade, as it is for films and tv programs, it's more about the back catalogue and rights to a property to haul you in.

Eventually it will be a few companies with the content and we'll flip between them. It then becomes a choice between console x or console y and at some point, that might become irrelevant as any device will be able to stream the content. Which is where the Steam platform has a big part. Thinking about it I may end up buying a Steam Deck if my Steam games are available! Mind you I've got a thing for a Nintendo Switch too. 

Message 4 of 5

Oxonian
  • 5729 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions