Did you mean: 

Free firewall?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Anyone got reccomendations?

Comodo the one I used to swear by has starting scare ware selling tactics. Suffice to say I've lost interest.

All help appreciated:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ooo yh of course it does hence why I was rather irate and looking for a new provider.

It was a genuine copy from comodo that's the reason I can only presume they'd turned to scare ware tactics.

However I've done as jonsie suggested and removed the geek buddy part and it all seems quiet so far:/

•fingers crossed•
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use windows firewall & ms essentials which never let's me down plus I never get any ads which you got with zone alarm & avg. avoid macafee like the plague, once you install it, no matter how hard you try, you cannot get rid of it

Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use a MacBook Air.

No need for internet security.

In my early days of computing I used a Dell and i found Norton to be ok, but ram intensive !
Message 13 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I use a MacBook Air.

No need for internet security.

It cannot be ignored whatever OS you have:

http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'd definatly advise some form of security macs are not as secure as they're made out to be.
Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only talk from experience.

On windows with norton and a few other firewalls I was hit by a Trojan that could read my passwords as I typed them resulting in an un successful attemp to transfer £1,500 from my account.

With my Mac I've not been hit once.
Yes macs can be hit but its rare.

Newer Macintosh operating systems, such as the Mac OS X, is built on the Unix kernel, which is one of the oldest and most secure operating systems available.

Most virus and Trojans are written for windows due to the amount of people using them.

With my Bt their is net protect plus which works in the background of my mac. 

Sory should have mentioned that but I forgot I even had it in the background !!

Message 16 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've been using Windows since 1995 and have never had a serious problem, anyone can be caught out by malware or phishing whatever OS you have.

Much of the time it's a case of being careful and understanding what you can and can't do safely.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
I didn't think so either:(

Kept reporting malware issues on my recreation pc suggesting I use "geek buddy" to fix said issues.

I was then informed by the "tech" that "you had many viruses that can only be removed manually. Please sign up on this link to allow me to do this for you"

"Plans start from $49.99 per year"

Wouldn't inform me of the "virus" designation nor would he inform me of how he knows there are viruses present.

Maybe I'm over reacting just I expected more of such a reputable company:(

These are not the actions of a reputable company. They are usual for scareware software and scammers.

I don't know much about Comodo Firewall, other than it's good reputation, but this doesn't fit with the image the company portrays. I would go to their support forum (if there is one) and see if there're any other complaints about it.

Message 18 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Good suggestion:) ill have a look see what I can find.

Cheers:)
Message 19 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can only talk from experience.

On windows with norton and a few other firewalls I was hit by a Trojan that could read my passwords as I typed them resulting in an un successful attemp to transfer £1,500 from my account.

With my Mac I've not been hit once.
Yes macs can be hit but its rare.

Newer Macintosh operating systems, such as the Mac OS X, is built on the Unix kernel, which is one of the oldest and most secure operating systems available.

Most virus and Trojans are written for windows due to the amount of people using them.

With my Bt their is net protect plus which works in the background of my mac. 

Sory should have mentioned that but I forgot I even had it in the background !!

Apple actually came colse to admitting vulnerabilities last year, and issued fixes with little or no fanfare.

There is a difference between how secure an OS is and how many vulnerabilities are descovered. One cannot assume an OS is secure merely because it isn't hit by new viruses and hacking attempts every day.

As you rightly point out, Windows sufferes more attacks because it is the most prevalent OS on computers*.

Malicious software programmers looked more at Apple's OSes last year because of their increase popularity, not because they have less vulnerabilities. It's merely a question of how many talented hackers out there decide to look at the system.

I would expect more heat on Apple and Linux variations in the near future as desktop & laptop buyers (businesses) look somewhere other than Windows8 for upgrading their assets.

* I don't include smartphones or tablets in the term 'computers'. Sure, they can compute, but how productive can you be on them in a day? Facebook doesn't count, by the way.

Message 20 of 24