Did you mean: 

Free firewall?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Anyone got reccomendations?

Comodo the one I used to swear by has starting scare ware selling tactics. Suffice to say I've lost interest.

All help appreciated:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Been using Comodo for 12 months myself with no problems? Not sure there are any better free firewalls out there to be honest.

Message 2 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I didn't think so either:(

Kept reporting malware issues on my recreation pc suggesting I use "geek buddy" to fix said issues.

I was then informed by the "tech" that "you had many viruses that can only be removed manually. Please sign up on this link to allow me to do this for you"

"Plans start from $49.99 per year"

Wouldn't inform me of the "virus" designation nor would he inform me of how he knows there are viruses present.

Maybe I'm over reacting just I expected more of such a reputable company:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 24

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Has geek buddy installed itself on your PC? If so uninstall it. I get no pop ups or anything related to geek buddy on my main PC. However I installed Comodo on a notebook a couple of weeks ago and geek buddy was installed as part of the firewall. Got rid of it pdq.

Message 4 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Yes it installed itself along with the latest update.

Your probably right about it being the geek buddy side. Ill remove it and give it time:)

Cheers:)

(Now why didn't I think of that rather than throwing my toys everywhere:()
Message 5 of 24

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they phone you?

Message 7 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
No they were very persistent in me calling a premium USA number to talk to them whilst they fixed my pc though.
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

And that does not sound dodgy to you? 

I would check the link you originally got it from fella, sounds a dodgy link to me. 

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to use Zone Alarm until that became nothing but a relentless promo for the retail version.   I've been using Norton for the whole a/v suite for the last few years and it's superb - but not free.

Since Vista/Windows 7 came along, the Windows standard firewall is very good and certainly adequate for most people.  Still limited for outgoing protection and configurability but ticks all the boxes for general use (and offers no chance for anyone to advertantly allow something through by giving too many pop-up boxes that can be impatiently clicked on).

If you are generally a safe user - not visiting dodgy sites and reasonably savvy when it comes to phishing and faked site - Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials is a pretty good combination (unless you are using XP - in which case, you may as well just put your pin numbers and personal information in a notice in the newsagent's window and save time)

Message 10 of 24