Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I was on a F1 forum yesterday when it happened (Max swearing at Lewis) Horner was immediately on the radio to say Hey, less of that Max!!  I think he was worried about Netflix. He also wouldn't like it that his team mate was P1. I just remarked, if Lewis had said that, this forum would have lit up!!

Max has been voted driver of the year (a title Lewis has had for past 6 years) In fairness either him or Norris deserves it. Max has made less mistakes than Lewis this year. However he does have a sense of entitlement and that showed in P2. Angry young man!

By the way for P1 and 2, COTA was nearly full. 120,000 people. Great to see after missing the US for 2 years.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 681 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

P3 Cota. Alonso takes a grid penalty for a new engine. Better session although Lewis spent half of it in garage with engineers checking car over. He got P1 but had time deleted due to exceeding track limits!

P3 Cota.jpg

Qualifying at 10pm!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 682 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Oh god...for 10 seconds I thought Lewis had pole, then along came Max..Pfffttt! Lol

Great race tomorrow hopefully.

Qualy Cota.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 683 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

And three tenths too, it's not just Verstappen look at Perez's time - on a par with Hamilton. Red Bull is faster, and by a margin. 

I think Hamilton has to go for it from the start, could be messy 😃

Edit: @Cleoriff I don't understand that timing results screenshot you posted in the above post confused  

There are no lap times and Verstappen is showing a minus -0.898 gap? 

SCH_34998.jpg

Message 684 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That timing sheet is the one posted on the F1 forum @Anonymous. Normally I post my own from Motorsport but it wasn't ready. If Perez hadn't had that little mistake, he would have been in 2nd. What I say is, Merc have been accusing of sandbagging for years...I will now say that about Red Bull.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 685 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff Yeah, the fastest teams always sandbag, no need to show your hand too early.

I thought Toto Wolf looked like he was caught off guard though, he wasn't expecting that. Verstappen is consistently  finding these fast times but the worry for Mercedes is how fast Perez suddenly is imo. 

As you said before it's great to see the huge number of spectators at the track, brilliant! 

I'm hoping for real classic, and I hope Hamilton can get the win 👍

Message 686 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Toto didn't even come out to talk to the commentators. He sent James Allison out instead. Silly question... 'So Lewis is up against it 2 to 1...how do you tell him to handle it? Allison: We don't tell him anything *laughs* He's one of the most experienced drivers on the grid, a 7xwdc, we think he knows exactly what to do"

What gets me is these commentators are always asking Rentagob Horner about Merc!! What the hell does he know about them?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 687 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a very close race, Hamilton did a great job to chase Verstappen down, but ultimately Verstappen had enough left in the tyres to stay in front.

They were 40+ seconds ahead of perez in 3rd, in a race with no incidents that's an incredible statistic really.  

Message 688 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

May as well give the championship to Verstappen now! So sad that Lewis couldn't do it. I really thought  he would...but as they say catching is one thing, overtaking is another.

Mexico is historically a Red Bull track, so because I'm feeling down about today, I can't see Lewis doing anything there. Also what the hell was Bottas playing at? Took him ages to to pass Sainz and he had a broken wing.  Waste of space unless he is leading.

There's every chance that Lewis will have to take another ICE as well.

Cota Race.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 689 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mexico 🇲🇽 This weekend (First Practice today 5:30) 

12 points in it, 5 races to go and with a possible maximum 130 points left to race for.

Red Bull have the edge (imo) But I wonder if Mercedes can turn up the power for the end of the season, I fancy Mercedes more than Red Bull for reliability. 

Message 690 of 881