Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

Anonymous
Not applicable

That penalty for Verstappen is just a leveller for Hamilton's penalty at Silverstone.

Both incidents were just racing imo, the sausage kerbs were to blame if anything. 

Message 641 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's actually less than Hamilton's penalty. 3 place grid drop equals 5s and 2 points on licence. Lewis got 10 seconds and 3 points on his, which equals 5 place grid drop.

Anyway each to their own opinion cos I don't think it was a racing incident. I think Max was furious at his delayed pit stop and no way was going to be behind Lewis, hence his stupid arrogant move.

Enough of that. I think Red Bull will take the engine penalty in Sochi, seems the sensible thing to do?

Absolutely delighted for McLaren and mature of Norris to obey team orders to hold station. Lovely to see Danny Ricc's delight and smile. 😂

Again, a picture showing the benefit of the halo. Pretty disgusting of Max to walk away without checking Lewis was OK!!!

halo.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 642 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff After watching the highlights on CH4, I'm pretty sure I can see a slight nod from Verstappen towards Hamilton as he walks past the Mercedes, and then an slight nod back from Hamilton in acknowledgement.

It was odd though, didn't see the medical car arrive on the scene, it's usually there in seconds. 

Message 643 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Missed your last comment @Anonymous. Apparently Lewis radioed in to the team that he was ok and so walked back to paddock. Unlike Max, he didn't walk on track though. Anyway it's Sochi this weekend and no news as to whether Max will take a further grid penalty by having a new engine. He already has a 3 place grid drop so this would be the ideal time for him.

I just hope these two don't come together again this weekend. 😣

Sochi is usually a Merc track so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains kind to them this weekend!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 644 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff Yeah looking forward to Sochi, hopefully a good race. Earlier times for all the sessions and race start is at 13:00.

Message 645 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Interesting happenings for Sochi. Ferrari will debut it's updated hybrid system on their power unit this weekend. Only on Leclercs car so he will take a grid penalty and start at the back.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-to-debut-updated-f1-hybrid-system-at-russian-gp/6672692/

Also Honda have admitted they brought forward their 2022 Energy store upgrade for this year in an effort to beat Mercedes. (No word on any engine change for Max re Sochi)

https://formularapida.net/honda-expands-on-its-energy-store-upgrade-for-more-car-performance/ 

I find this all very interesting as Mercedes only ever bought a small upgrade to Silverstone

Roll on tomorrow to see what's what. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 646 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Practice 1 Sochi

P1 Sochi 21.jpg

Max sat in the garage for ages after everyone else. When he came out wasn't happy with the car.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 647 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Max Verstappen will start at the back of the grid with an engine penalty.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-start-russian-gp-last-new-power-unit/6673736/ 

P2 results

P2 sochi.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 648 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

P3 was cancelled due to a serious lightning storm.

It has now stopped and as long as the helicopter can take off and the rain stays to a minimum we will get qualifying.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 649 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Unbelievable Quali!! Mercedes track oh yes!

So Lewis leading Q1&2 then Q3 goes into pits to change tyres for last flying lap, brushes the pit wall and with 4 mins to go they have to change front wing and tyres. Bottas waiting for tyre change to slicks.., Both go out, can only do one lap. Lewis cant get tyres up to temp so spins on track and stops Bottas getting his fast lap in  and both lose out! Unbelievable!!

Sochi Qualy.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 650 of 881