cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Football Talk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I would start off a thread, bit of friendly banter not too heavy and an opportunity to express your ideas about your favourite team.

What are you hoping for in the January transfer market?

As a Liverpool fan I am hoping for cover for Mane and the front 3.

Message 1 of 1,091
1,090 REPLIES 1,090

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37927 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1723 Solutions

Had a wander along the beach promenade - one area had a large TV screen playing scenes from the game in Berlin - lots of red and yellow tops and flags, all good-spirited, but the bar that had the white and red English flags earlier this week was quiet. And yes, the hooting carries on. Local police amiably maintaining a watchful eye... What else are warm Spanish Sunday evenings for? 🤣🇪🇸

Message 1071 of 1,091

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125182 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7541 Solutions

It must have been a big event in  England.😂

I was amending a Sainsburys online order and noticed 'They Were Closing Early To Allow Staff To Watch The Match'. (I thought that was a bit silly as they close at 4pm on Sundays anyway.!

Needless to say, there were no sights or sounds of rapture here. 😖

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1072 of 1,091

Cleoriff
  • 125182 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7541 Solutions

@blissgirl wrote:

Best team on @Cleoriff 

Without a doubt @blissgirl ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1073 of 1,091

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8469 Posts
  • 184 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

It must have been a big event in  England.😂

I was amending a Sainsburys online order and noticed 'They Were Closing Early To Allow Staff To Watch The Match'. (I thought that was a bit silly as they close at 4pm on Sundays anyway.!

Needless to say, there were no sights or sounds of rapture here. 😖

That would @Cleoriff be Sainsburys Local stores, which are open until 11.00pm on a Sunday.

My local Tesco Express is also open until 11.00om on a Sunday and similarly closed early. 👍

Message 1074 of 1,091

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8469 Posts
  • 184 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@blissgirl wrote:

Best team on @Cleoriff 

Without a doubt @blissgirl ...

In truth @Cleoriff, Spain were far and away the best team in the tournament and fully deserved their win. 

I also think that it was a splendid winning goal, almost impossible to defend against ! 😀  

Message 1075 of 1,091

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25497 Posts
  • 846 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well done Spain. A well-deserved win and showed England HOW football should be played.

England had too many egos; left it too late for "heroes" - so were pathetic in first half; let Spain get first goal within minutes of start of second half; and only then did Southgate consider bringing on a sub.

All in all a predictable performance from a bunch of players who might play well for their teams but cannot play as a team for England [with a couple of exceptions].

If Southgate has an ounce of decency, he will accept full responsibility for failing four times for England to win anything and resign; otherwide he should be booted off as manager.

We have less than 2 years to the 60th anniversary of England [men`s] team winning the World Cup.

We need a manager with a plan, not afraid to drop "favourites", and build a team - a team which can and will play together, and win.

Offer the manager`s job to Klopp - dunno if he`d even consider it - who turned Liverpool FC round and won trophy after trophy.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1076 of 1,091

Cleoriff
  • 125182 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7541 Solutions

TBH @Mi-Amigo I don't think either side played well in the first half. However, whatever Spain's manager said to them in the interval did the trick.

Also I think Harry Kane is done. He showed no leadership skills whatsoever. He gets substituted and we get a goal. Spain then ran rings round us. We didn't look like a team who deserved to be in that final. Spain scored their 2nd goal and we were finished.

We have so much talent in that squad but Southgate sticks with the 'tried and tested'.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1077 of 1,091

Cleoriff
  • 125182 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7541 Solutions

GARETH SOUTHGATE RESIGNS.

After 8 years as England Manager, Gareth Southgate has resigned today.

Now the  hunt for a new manager begins.

Apparently the FIA wanted him to stay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c978e37ld7ro 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1078 of 1,091

jonsie
  • 93738 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7005 Solutions

Perhaps get someone now who is not so set in his ways

Sticking to the same negative way of playing upset many fans (me included)

Football should be entertaining and a joy to watch

We need to be offensive rather than defensive

We had players who could do this for their own teams in the premier league but the coach lays out the formula

Southgate couldn't change. He picked a squad of 25 players and five of these never played a minute of the tournament....why?

Also another five who were so underused when games where crying out for some attacking flair. We had the players there who could have made this tournament one to remember.rather than one to look back on with regrets

Blame the players too, Kane was so obviously unfit and a shadow of the player he was 12 months ago.

Why was Toney and Watkins who score goals for fun not in the starting eleven

So many things I could talk about but ultimately Southgate has to take full responsibility

I'm delighted he has gone

Klopp? If only but I doubt very much if he would be interested. 

Unfortunately I don't see many English men with the credeentials needed to manage England at the moment and lets be honest the job is a poisoned chalice.

Message 1079 of 1,091

Cleoriff
  • 125182 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7541 Solutions

@jonsie 

They did mention Klopp on the news but said when he left Liverpool, he was quite clear that he wanted a break from football.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1080 of 1,091