cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Football Talk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I would start off a thread, bit of friendly banter not too heavy and an opportunity to express your ideas about your favourite team.

What are you hoping for in the January transfer market?

As a Liverpool fan I am hoping for cover for Mane and the front 3.

Message 1 of 999
998 REPLIES 998

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25028 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Re-Grealish wanting to take penalty.

He tweeted

"I said I wanted to take one!!!!

The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…”

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 731 of 999

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yeah I saw reports that Southgate picked based on how the players did in training and who volunteered.
Think it was a bit bad for all three who missed/were saved - Saka for his age and experience at taking penalties, and Rashford and Sancho for coming on 2 minutes before having to take them.
If the latter were taking them, get them on for at least 10 minutes to settle nerves and get tension out of legs.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 732 of 999

Anonymous
Not applicable

So i guess we can blame Sir Southgate.

footy.jpg

Message 733 of 999

Cleoriff
  • 122380 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well that settles that then!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 734 of 999

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122380 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Re-Grealish wanting to take penalty.

He tweeted

"I said I wanted to take one!!!!

The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…”

@Mi-Amigo And that was a tweet in reply to Sky Sports news ,according to the later post  by @Anonymous 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 735 of 999

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will tell you one thing, my nan could have taken a better penalty than Rashford's. That was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen, and I have watched Yate Town FC for years!

Message 736 of 999

Cleoriff
  • 122380 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm sure Rashford feels the same. I think these three lads have had enough kicking. now and so has Southgate. Suddenly he went from being the golden boy of the era to a real ******...,.  according to the commentary knowalls. I don't think they could do any better, If they can why haven't they got the damn jpob?

So we lost on penalties AGAIN. SO What? The racial abuse was terrible. That in itself was worse than any penalty we lost!

I was still proud of them for all the matches did win!!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 737 of 999

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff I was saying it in a joking way but my point is valid. I've never seen a worst penalty (I'm talking about the execution rather than the miss)

Once you reach the top of your sporting profession you should expect criticism if you don't perform, people have been criticising football players for years. Like any right minded person I condemn racist abuse of any kind, but please stop mollycoddling Rashford, he's a millionaire football star not a poor kid. 

Message 738 of 999

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25028 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Quite rightly the racist abuse which the three players who missed a penalty has been condemned.

In my opinion, Gareth made a wrong decision as to who should take a penalty, and he which should have taken into account the players` age and experience, and also given two of the players more time on the pitch.

That said, I feel that all of the England players did a brilliant job in each and every one of their games and Gareth Southgate showed true leadership - all of which should be applauded. Lessons can and will be learnt and I believe that England can, and will, show its rightful place on the World Football stage.     

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 739 of 999

Cleoriff
  • 122380 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff I was saying it in a joking way but my point is valid. I've never seen a worst penalty (I'm talking about the execution rather than the miss)

Once you reach the top of your sporting profession you should expect criticism if you don't perform, people have been criticising football players for years. Like any right minded person I condemn racist abuse of any kind, but please stop mollycoddling Rashford, he's a millionaire football star not a poor kid. 

@AnonymousEXCUSE ME?!!

I wasn't aware I was mollycoddling Rashford? If anything I was condemning Southgate for his choice of him. With Grealish in the wings ready to stand up and take the penalty for his country. Instead 2 minutes on the pitch and GS shoves him into a situation where he could have been a hero or a zero. It was a pathetic shot, whether he is black white or any colour. I also know how highly paid he is and know he started a scheme to feed poor kids during lockdown.  Either way don't accuse me of mollycoddling Rashford when that was the last thing on my mind. My concern was, had he been white, he would not have received that abuse.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 740 of 999