Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook and Cambridge Analytica

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The US Federal Trade Commission is reported to be investigating Facebook after allegations that 50 million users' private information was misused by a political consultancy firm (Cambridge Analytica)

Cambridge Analytica (CA), used by the Trump campaign in the 2016 US election, has been accused of taking the personal data unknown to users..

The head of CA, Alexander Nix, has been suspended by the Board

A massive breach of confidentiality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43476594

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It seems every week a different company has leaked this or been hacked with that.
I think it's about time these global players start innovating better security..
Message 2 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I read about this in the news. Yet another breach of confidentiality with a large tech firm.

I agree with @viridis better security is a must both in the States and here. Facebook, Google etc need closer monitoring
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Never really had any interest in joining, but was dragged kicking and screaming onto Facebook several years ago. Had enough sense to not use any third party apps and have always had it disabled. Don't have, and never have had, the Facebook app on my phone. I figured they knew enough about me without knowing where I was every second of the day. Google knows it all anyway, so why put it somewhere else too. It does have its uses at times, I must admit, but if I was told that it was not going to be there any more, I doubt it would bother me much, if at all.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This has been in the news for a few days now how they influenced the US elections and even Brexit. I suppose everyone is gullible to a certain degree and these organisations certainly have all the information they need. It frightens me as to how our every move is scrutinised. How you look for something online and are then bombarded with ads that you can't block whether it's on social media or Google. You see things happening and you wonder, how did they know that?! But this is the world we live in now and yes, apparently 50M Facebook accounts have been hacked but let's face it, our information is already out there for everyone to know.

Every company, unless you have the foresight to opt out, sells our personal data on. Most companies are quite open about it and the opt out is easy, open and transparent. Others as you know hide it away and make it difficult to opt out. Even our local government and health services know everything there is to possibly know about us. The only private things we have are our own thoughts. Even then, just sometimes, those thoughts can be dangerous. I've been there but countless others are susceptible to influences and persuasion. Hence all the terrorism and the atrocities with young men suddenly deciding they would enjoy massacring as many as possible with automatic rifles in a society were the right to bear arms is more important than our own children.

But the point I am making, the point I have made on here numerous times before, is that no one should be surprised how things are decided or influenced by unknown people because our every movement is transmitted by our phones, every step down any town centre is on camera. This is a world we have made for ourselves, a world others have made for us, sometimes telling us its necessary but all the while clandestine significant others are working in subterfuge, for their own purposes. Such people work for Cambridge Analytica but they are just the latest to have been found out. What will happen? Nothing! Yes it's in all the news on TV,  in the newspapers and all the media talk shows. ...for a few days....then we move merrily on our way until the next time.....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/20/cambridge-analytica-execs-boast-of-role-in-getting-t...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/20/cambridge-analytica-suspends-ceo-alexander-nix

Just wow........

Shocked? No, just another day!

Cambridge Analytica
Alexander Nix, Cambridge Analytica CEO, suspended after data scandal
Man at centre of allegations about Facebook data breach is suspended pending full investigation.

Who knows about this.....? Someone does.....

Message 5 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The funny thing about this is that (in this incident) at no time has anyone been hacked.
The firm puts a quiz/game on FB which people have to click on, then authorise said quiz/game to look at their profile and the profiles of friends.
This data then allows CA to post the appropriate advertising about the election.
The only dodgy part is whether the data gets passed on to others but the firm have the users permission to use it directly.
Some news stories about it:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43469656
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43465968

Moral of the story - limit what you put on, what others can access and don't click on anything!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@gmarkjwrote:
Moral of the story - limit what you put on, what others can access and don't click on anything!

or just delete FB completely.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Or that.
I don't use the app at all, and use the mobile page in a limited way to keep in contact with some friends/family.
I don't do the quizes/play the games on there either.
I would still be interested to see what they have on me though...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’m the same.
If friends are that important or close to me they have my number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

True @gmarkj. However the worrying part about FB is they insist on sharing data 'with friends' before you can proceed with 'playing one of their games' etc etc etc.

I only have FB on my PC and feeling a little bored I clicked on one of the games they advertised. Quite annoyed to note that if I actually signed up to play, they told me they 'would share my data among friends and other interested parties'

Needless to say, I didn't join. FB is rife with this type of thing...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18