Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook and Cambridge Analytica

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The US Federal Trade Commission is reported to be investigating Facebook after allegations that 50 million users' private information was misused by a political consultancy firm (Cambridge Analytica)

Cambridge Analytica (CA), used by the Trump campaign in the 2016 US election, has been accused of taking the personal data unknown to users..

The head of CA, Alexander Nix, has been suspended by the Board

A massive breach of confidentiality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43476594

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Totally agree with both of you.
The reason I pointed out the above @Cleoriff is that people are very quick to assume that this is due to a hack when in fact it isn't.
The data was collected correctly, but what happened after that may not have been.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 18

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No, none of yours is down to hacking. By clicking on page or quiz you have to agree to share your Facebook profile which in turn shares your friends and their friends and so on. The point I was trying to make in my usual clumsy way is that even without this 'tool' that Aleksandr Koran developed whilst working for Cambridge Analytica, our details are out there for all to harvest. Who knows how many data bases we are on and for what purposes they are used. It's only because of Christopher Wylie that this particular instance has been exposed. 

Message 12 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkjwrote:
Totally agree with both of you.
The reason I pointed out the above @Cleoriff is that people are very quick to assume that this is due to a hack when in fact it isn't.
The data was collected correctly, but what happened after that may not have been.

The data may have been collected 'properly' (without people knowing what it would be used for)

However, it does look increasingly obvious that it was used for a reason that seems to be corrupt.

I can see no other reason for the suspension of Andrew Nix  of CA

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see Suckerberg was his usual arrogant self.. no apology just more spiel about how it’s not Facebooks fault. That guy gives me the irrits!

Message 14 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
He is a creep. Of course, he will never admit FB did anything wrong ever. So no change there then. According to him FB is perfect, though we all know it's far from it.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes he has a lot to answer for. However from his perspective, he would never admit the fault . It would affect his precious company far too much.

Although people will still mindlessly continue to use FB and I'm just as sure FB will continue to be as popular as before.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriffwrote:

Yes he has a lot to answer for. However from his perspective, he would never admit the fault . It would affect his precious company far too much.

Although people will still mindlessly continue to use FB and I'm just as sure FB will continue to be as popular as before.

I’m not so sure. I think Brexit, and Trump in the White House are nation (if not world) changing moments. What with Russia interfering and now the CA / Facebook revelations, I think a lot of eyes have been opened to the fact that manipulation, no matter how small or subtle is still manipulation. It’s definitely made Governments wake up.

The only exception would be the millions of mindless morons who blunder through life expecting free access to everything & believing everything they read! (So maybe you’re right after all 😖)

Message 17 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yes, FB will still be popular as in spite of all that's going on there are still many who don't believr it or they think it will never happen to their account. They are happy to put their lives out there for all to see, commenting on every aspect of their day. Silly really but there it is.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 18 of 18