Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever met anyone famous?

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK so this is a chance to boast by name-dropping famous, not-so-famous, or even infamous people you have met...

oh and why not also mention anone you would like to meet

I`ve met Macca, Linda McCartney and Stella Mc Cartney; George Harrison (ex-Beatles for those who dont know or remember); David Blaine; Kate Bush, singer song-writer, and she gave me a kiss; Seb Coe, runner, MP, and now a Lord; "Lord" Sutch, founder of the Raving Looney Party; Tonly Blackburn, DJ and winner of "I`m A Celebrity"; Gordon Banks, legendary goalkeeper.

I would loved to have met John Lennon and the Kennedies.

So over to you guys....

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've met Mick McManus, the wrestler in Bournemouth ... my dad was having stern words with his minder - forget what about, I was only a kid

Image result for images mick mcmanus

I've posted this lovely smiley photo of him as opposed to the then usual grim faced bloke in the black trunks

I've been an arms length from the Queen when she opened the Garden Festival in Stoke-on-Trent where my then husband was part of the garden design team ... the Queen was wearing a royal blue outfit 

@Cleoriff you've met one of my idols: Ronnie O Sullivan

Message 11 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I grew up with, and had a crush on Frankie Lyman.

Went to high school with Ronnie and Nedra from the Ronettes and grew up with Ronnie's late sister Estelle, also a member of the Ronettes.

Sammy Davis, Jr also used to sing to me when I was a baby, though I honestly don't remember it. I only know this because my mum told me.

When I worked as a cashier in Waitrose, King's Road, I met Lord Tebbit, who surprisingly has a great sense of humour. Also met Helen Worth, Gail in Coronation Streer; Jonathan Frakes, Commander Riker in Star Trek: Next Generation; Jean Marsh, Rose in Upstairs Downstairs and Dame Maggie Smith.

All were lovely but Jean Marsh, Jonathan Frakes and Maggie Smith would always stop and chat while I scanned their shopping. And I ran into Jean Marsh on one of my local buses, and again we had lovely chats about her early days in Upstairs Downstairs.

I don't know if she can still do it but Helen Worth was a fast runner. She forgot an item she wanted and took off from the till like a bat out of hell. She was back with the item she forgot in about a minute. Everyone in the queue and me cheered as we were so impressed with her speed.

Also met the disgraced MP and his wife, their last name I can't remember. But he was the MP accused of taking bribes from Al-Fayed, which he always hotly denied.. They came to my till late one evening and we chatted briefly. They were both chatty and very pleasant. I think the wife's first name was Christine and she was fond of a glass or two of wine as I recall. The husband's first name was Neil but for the life of me I can't remember their last names.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 Neil & Christine Hamilton? the names you were trying to remember ... yes, he was a ratfink

Message 13 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Glory1 Neil & Christine Hamilton? the names you were trying to remember ... yes, he was a ratfink

And they both went on to become minor celebrities...much to my disgust!!

Image result for Images of Neil and Christine Hamilton

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And they both went on to become minor celebrities...much to my disgust!!

Image result for Images of Neil and Christine Hamilton

@Cleoriff Did one or both of them do I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here? ... or maybe I'm imagining it

Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Christine did. I think she was in the first series @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Yes that's the name, thank you @Anonymous. 

I suspect he was guilty in spite of his many denials. However, when he and Christine were at my till they were both very pleasant, friendly and down-to-earth. If only all my customers had been like them!!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 17 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Met (briefly) Derren Brown after one of his gigs. He wrote an amusing message on the programme to my (now) wife about not coming to his gig (I got tickets to go before we started courting - once she knew I was going she wanted to attend but it had sold out).
Sol Campbell was at the till in Tesco ahead of me late one night. Said hello but didn't want to disturb him.
Briefly insulted Barry Fry while he was in the shop I worked at. We were discussing football and I might have mentioned that Peterborough were a bit dreadful (maybe used a different word...) while he was in the corner of my eye. I quickly left the scene!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 18