cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever gone back to a department you used to work in?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In a bit of a dilemma.

A more senior role has come up in a team I left about three years ago. it's more money and is acting as an escalation point for those doing a job I did for over 10 years so I know it like the back of my hand.

Due to various things I'm a bit browned off where I am with the workload getting ever heavier but increasingly I'm chasing others to get stuff done and taking the brunt when it's not.

It seems like a no-brainer on the one hand and a bit of a retrograde step on the other, what do you reckon, should I go for it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As you spend 50% of your time at work you need to be happy and take job satisfaction out of any role. It is a difficult choice but I know from my own past experience that it isn't always all about the money. Go with your head and your heart but ultimately only you can make that choice.

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie 

True, I've clocked up just over 17 years at the organisation I work for and think deep down I'm yearning for a change, probably to go and work elsewhere as everything takes way longer than it ought to due to policy that hasn't been reviewed in years.

With all the various uncertainties at the moment I'm reluctant to leave but I think I need to in order to retain my sanity if nothing else as every day I come home I feel exhausted.

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like you know what you need!
Sounds like you know what to do!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous 

There again with all the uncertainty going on re Brexit etc etc...now may not be the time to make what could be a life changing decision?....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

There again with all the uncertainty going on re Brexit etc etc...now may not be the time to make what could be a life changing decision?....

@Cleoriff 

Very true and that is forement in my mind at the moment.

Oh to win the lottery and take a break for a couple of months!

Would love to just go away and think carefully what I wanted to do.

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

A big decision but you don't want any regrets in the future. It's a shame we aren't blessed with hindsight.

Message 7 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Some boring sensible questions.
Do you retain your length of service?
Did you leave the team becaise of people, procedures or more money/different job?
Is travel to/from work going to be better/worse if you move?
I took a punt that didn't work out 15 months ago, and 2 months ago was made redundant after 51 weeks.
3 weeks ago i started a new job that has been really interesting and feels like somewhere i can actually make a difference.
Being made redundant (for me) actually turned into a positive as i found something soon enough that the redundancy money means i can clear some debt and be better off.
Something wise and brave i heard is that you never regret the things you did, its always the things you didn't.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 8