cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Apple deliberately slow old iPhones before a new release?

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology/59708/does-apple-deliberately-slow-old-iphones-before-a-new-rele...

Controversial!

I think the logical explanation is quoted in the article: "The latest version of the Apple operating system, iOS, is always tailored to the newest device and may therefore not work as efficiently on older models." However as one of the commenters has stated, as "there as so few models of the iPhone, software patches which will slow down a certain model of a phone to a point in which the user notices a general reduction of productivity is not acceptable."

Interesting theory though!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Papadug

I've been involved in discussions on other forums about this.

When Apple release new full iOS platforms it on occasion will not be fully compatable with older iPhones / iPads due to the internal chips and so on. So some specs won't work or it won't be available for that model.

I've never had an iPhone slow down by this. Typically lagging is due to both age and the amount of content saved in the internal memory.

The 'other' section holding the iOS and various other saved data can creep up too causing the memory to be used. Typically creating a back up and restoring the iPhone will cure this and cure most of the lag. Micro managing the space helps too.

Unfortunately devices get left behind. My 1st generation iPod touch won't go past 3.1.3.

Of course Apple like any other manufacturer wants you to buy into its products.

wink
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think personally that they should warn users of older devices that they could slow down if updated with the latest software then at least people would have a choice and would have been warned
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thing is @Anonymous I've been involved in threads where one owner said it did slow down and another with the exact same iPhone and iOS saying it didn't.

Apple aren't going to say it 'could' but instead 'would'. slight_smile

Apple currently advise if a certain model of idevice will run it at all or run it with key specs not supported.
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that is true it must be more down to individual users set ups then as to weather it slows down or not
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this not more of an issue around how often the devices themselves are released with higher spec and the new OS needing the faster processor/larger RAM to operate fully?

Take the BlackBerry Z10 an an example, it's over 18 months old has had 2 major OS updates since it was first released (not including the minor ones) and if anything it gets faster with every update. In that time there have been 3 different iPhones and 3 different iOS versions. Although the iPhone 4S is being muted as being iOS8 compatible I would bet that its going to be horribly slow...

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
When iOS 7 was released some iPhone 4 owners reported slower machines ,but then again others said theirs was fine.

Too many variables. 😞
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, when iOS7 was released I thought it would be the iPad 2's at work that we'd have problems with as my girlfriends is horribly laggy on it, but it turns out its the iPhone 4S devices that have been more problematic.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's certainly a conundrum that it affects some but not others.

I feel Apple should extend the signing period when they release a new iOS ,so an owner can field test it ,and if required return to the previous iOS.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some more info about this topic comparing Apple's results with searches for 'Samsung Galaxy slow'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2709502/Does-Apple-deliberately-slow-old-models-new-r...

Message 10 of 18