Did you mean: 

Documentary suggestions

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey guys, 

I love to watch documentaries or docuseries, but lately I've found it more and more difficult to decide which one to watch next. I was hoping you might be able to help with that ... nerd

Just for context, I'm usually quite interested in true crime, nature-related, or societal documentaries. Howver, I've watched all kinds so although those are my go-tos don't feel like you have to limit your suggestions to these themes! Anything on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Youtube would be best, as these are the streaming services I have access to.

A few of the ones I've recently watched ⬇️

More info
Making a Murderer, The Staircase, Wild wild country, Planet Earth, Evil genius, Behind the curve, Frozen Planet, 7 Days out, Dogs, most of Louis Theroux's work.

Looking forward to your suggestions! 

Thanks!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So, just to be clear @EmilieT  you have no access to any TV Catch up programmes?

A pity if not, as the recent 4 part series of Cheat was excellent. Not a docuseries, though a damn good psychological thriller.

I rarely use Netflix or Amazon Prime (for streaming)

Just to give you a heads up, a brand new series of Planet Earth (3) will be coming..though not until 2022!!

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a26264366/planet-earth-season-three/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11993 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I haven't watched it, but I have heard that the Netflix series Take Your Pills was rather good (recommended by a podcast I listen to - Dubland [beware-language is very adult]).
I also find most of Louis Theroux's docu's are rather good.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The Tudors on Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758790/
followed by Reign.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2710394/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

These are my type of documentaries they are old now but the journeys

are so interesting.  Don't know where you would find them apart from

DVD or Video (sorry!)

Michael Palin

Great Railway Journeys did quite a lot because he

was a train spotter.

He also did:-

Around the world in 80 days

Pole to Pole

Hemingway Adventure

Sahara with Michael Palin

Himalaya

New Europe (after the cold war)

Brazil

I like these type of travel documentaries there are quite a lot that show long train journeys

in India and guess what they have Food stops (I love curry) these are the best stops!

The British when it was British India ~  built most of the railways there and they are still used and maintained today.

There used to be a train that was called "The Orient Express" Luxurious Train from Paris to Istanbul ~ what a thrill that would have been to be on that ~ bearing in mind that travel when that started in the 1880's was new, exciting and dangerous!

Anyway I love the Journey documentaries of any kind. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

I don't have TV or a TV licence so I'm not sure how many TV catch up I could really access, but I've also never really looked into it too closely! I can't wait for this third season of Planet Earth. Sir David Attenborough is actually working with Netflix on another nature docuseries called Our Planet, which I'm quite looking forward to as well. smiling

I've not heard of Cheat, but a psychological thriller sounds pretty good!

@gmarkj  

That title rings a bell, I've not watched it but I've added it to my list now, thanks! I've not had a chance to watch Louis Theroux's new series, Altered states, but I hope it'll be added to Netflix alongside his other documentaries soon. It sounds rather heavy but I trust it'll be very interesting as everything he's done. nerd

@MI5 

I've not watched either yet, but I've added The Turdors on my list to start with. More drama than documentary but certainly worth a try, thanks! wink

@TallTrees 

That's so many ideas, thanks for the list! I could probably find them on DVD or rent some on Amazon Prime, I'll have look into them individually and see what catches my eye. I've watched some travel documentaries and they're always so beautiful, they make me want to go everywhere. earth

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 6 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You'll be hooked on it @EmilieT.
It's factual drama so sits between the two genres slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You'll be hooked on it @EmilieT.
It's factual drama so sits between the two genres slight_smile

@MI5  Ooooh I see, that sounds like something a little different to what I've been watching lately so looking forward to it. It looks like it has an impressive cast as well thumbsup

signature

Message 8 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have Netflix on a months free trial, purely to watch the factual docu-series 'F1 The Drive to Survive'

However, someone recommended I watch After Life. Not a documentary but a series about dealing with the death of a loved one. It stars Ricky Gervais so is bitingly funny and tragic as well.

Very new to Netflix, so I probably will continue when the free trial is up...

I see Blue Planet 2 is currently streaming, I certainly would love to watch that again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 26

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I'd love to see the new Blue Planet one @Cleoriff ! 🌍

@EmilieT  I watched (on YouTube but it might be available elsewhere too) a few years ago a very interesting documentary about 'decay'. I forgot the name but in one of its scenes some researchers made a replica of a normal kitchen with food stuff out like fruit basket, meals etc. that you'd normally have laid out when having your dinner. They put this scene in a transparent, sealed "box", and people could observe from the outside how the room changes over several days because the food decays. Super interesting if you're not too bothered with the insects, mold etc. 

Message 10 of 26