Do you write a journal?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all enjoying the start of a new week! ☀️ 

I used to write a journal on a daily basis as a child and really enjoyed putting my thoughts on paper, using a physical journal book and lots of coloured pens. I even wrote one journal book completely in a made-up code language that I still think looked super cool! nerd As a teenager I wrote in my journal sometimes, and as I got older it was less and less until as an adult I have dropped the habit altogether. I have recently started thinking that it would be nice to start again after hearing that it can be beneficial for mental health.

I'm curious if anyone here on the community writes in a journal/diary on a regular basis, or if you've done so in the past? slight_smile What do you think are the benefits?

Nowadays, in addition to regular physical journal books, there are computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets - which format do you use and do you have any journal/diary apps or software to recommend if you're doing it digitally?

📚📚📚

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not on your nelly.. I’d hate for someone to find it and then find out what I really think about the world and it’s inhabitants!
Message 2 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I do write in a journal and it is beneficial for mental welfare. It's good to look back on good days when you are feeling vulnerable.

Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I keep a diary. Not quite the same (and I know there are apps I could use) but I do prefer checking things via this route. I think I would be lost without it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10667 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Marjo
I used to keep a daily written diary.
I have changed a written diary for a photo diary. I take photos of things I have done what's new or going on, how things are growing in the garden then look back to see progress, it is really interesting. These are stored in months / years on my computer.
I keep a diary for appointments on my phone.
It has become easier to keep a photo diary since the mobile phone camera has been improved, so much. I even take a video too sometimes.
I enjoy my photo diary much more.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 17

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous I became concerned about that as well after one of my friends got into my books and made fun of my writing. After that I didn't write as often. A digital journal would be good for this reason as it could be password-protected.

@jonsie Is that a physical journal you write in, or a digital one? slight_smile

@Cleoriff That reminds me, one of my friends writes everything that happened during the day into a physical journal. She can refer back to specific year, specific month, specific time of day to see exactly what happened! I think that's pretty cool. I think I'm going to start doing this as well. Definitely not as detailed as that, but just to kind of "log" how the day went, and definitely celebrate there all the good things that happened during the day, even if it was a small thing.

@TallTrees A photo journal I haven't thought about, what a great idea! I do like to take photos and I take some every day. Mostly about my cats, what I eat, if I see nice plants or flowers outside... I think some use Instagram for this purpose (you can set it private or public). Not sure how I would do that with thoughtsthinking I guess a photo journal captures real-life objects from your day instead and works well for things like your gardening progress tracking! slight_smile

Message 6 of 17

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10667 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 

Can't put in thoughts ~  but can draw on photo and make notes if want to on the computer

I have done that and it is very handy.  

There is a saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"   

a-picture-says-a-thousand-words-1-728.jpg

I seem to think this is right for me anyway....heart_eyes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 17

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 17

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

I have recently started thinking that it would be nice to start again after hearing that it can be beneficial for mental health.

Hey @Marjo 

As you know we have (had) the same problems and struggles. My therapist told me last year I should write one as a part of therapy. And I did (beginning 1st nov '18). It was useful... But now that I feel better, I hardly write anything. Just if it's a day where I need to "talk to someone" - as my usual talking partners are dead now. 

But even if I write again, I note every date and write a day count since when dad and mum are dead. It's weird to see how many times you woke up since these worst days.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 17

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Hi,

I too write a journal by hand, I've tried digital diaries, but much prefer a book, as you can doodle in it, glue pictures, tickets and such.

My journal is just for travel experiences/planning (we're walking the Northern Camino Santiago in stages), and reading it is entertaining on less interesting days back home, as well learning from some of the mistakes made along "The Way" when planning the next trip. 

(Main lesson learnt ?  Don't stay in hostels if you can afford better - snoring, bag rustling, bathroom q's, early risers, mobile phone use....)

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 10 of 17