Do you write a journal?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all enjoying the start of a new week! ☀️ 

I used to write a journal on a daily basis as a child and really enjoyed putting my thoughts on paper, using a physical journal book and lots of coloured pens. I even wrote one journal book completely in a made-up code language that I still think looked super cool! nerd As a teenager I wrote in my journal sometimes, and as I got older it was less and less until as an adult I have dropped the habit altogether. I have recently started thinking that it would be nice to start again after hearing that it can be beneficial for mental health.

I'm curious if anyone here on the community writes in a journal/diary on a regular basis, or if you've done so in the past? slight_smile What do you think are the benefits?

Nowadays, in addition to regular physical journal books, there are computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets - which format do you use and do you have any journal/diary apps or software to recommend if you're doing it digitally?

📚📚📚

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Projectionist wrote:

Hi,

I too write a journal by hand, I've tried digital diaries, but much prefer a book, as you can doodle in it, glue pictures, tickets and such.

My journal is just for travel experiences/planning (we're walking the Northern Camino Santiago in stages), and reading it is entertaining on less interesting days back home, as well learning from some of the mistakes made along "The Way" when planning the next trip. 

(Main lesson learnt ?  Don't stay in hostels if you can afford better - snoring, bag rustling, bathroom q's, early risers, mobile phone use....)

Yes, @Projectionist, I think that even though there are some apps or software where you can kind of paste images and even doodle next to your text, it's still not the same as physical diary pages for some writers! You just need to feel it in your hands. slight_smile 

@TallTrees I didn't consider you could also draw and put notes on the photos - that's very handy! I can definitely now get it and could totally include some more abstract thought in there as well. slight_smile

@ComaChameleon I went to therapy some years ago and they recommended a diary, or if that's too much, then at least a log of positive things on a daily basis, even the smallest of things to start with such as spotting a squirrel outside. That was a good way to be aware that even though things might be dark at one point in time, there can be little good things scattered here and there - just need to notice, which can be sometimes very difficult. slight_smile

I've also heard that people keep drawing diaries, or diaries of other type of art - paintings, for example. I think your image diary @TallTrees could also count as a diary of art in a way!

Message 11 of 17

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Yes it is useful ~ used from the Edit facililty on my computer

probably on phone too. @Marjo 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 17

TallTrees
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

It is a picture diary October 2019  ~ this is the last bunch of grapes on my Black Hamburg vine in the

Greenhouse, part of the great vine growing in Hampton Court Palace.  @Marjo 

20191018_115635 (2).jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 17

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Lovely!! I didn't know you can grow grapes yourself here in the UK. Those look great. What a crips photo! 

Message 14 of 17

TallTrees
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Yes you can grow lots of different varieties outdoors. @Marjo 

This particular one doesn't like to be outdoors, it won't fruit.

The roots are free to roam outside and down through the

Greenhouse floor.  I run it along the roof of the greenhouse.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 17

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@ComaChameleon I went to therapy some years ago and they recommended a diary, or if that's too much, then at least a log of positive things on a daily basis, even the smallest of things to start with such as spotting a squirrel outside. That was a good way to be aware that even though things might be dark at one point in time, there can be little good things scattered here and there - just need to notice, which can be sometimes very difficult. slight_smile

@Marjo 

That's kind of what I'm doing... I feel good/bad - write something. But I think it would be pointless to write "my shift went nice, collegue and I laughed hard" 

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

No but I thought about writing a blog as a sleep aid for others.

Seriously, if I documented my working day I guarantee 99% would be out like a light halfway through!

Message 17 of 17