cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you stay home or travel for Christmas?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hi all!

Do you normally stay home for the holiday period and Christmas time, or travel somewhere either within your home country or abroad? slight_smile

I used to travel back to Finland for Christmas each year in the beginning when I first moved here over 10 years ago, but in the past few years haven't done so anymore. I prefer to spend my holiday at home now, perhaps visit a few friends locally, and relax. 

If you don't tend to stay at home over the holiday period, where do you normally spend it? What's the best location you've visited for Christmas? santa

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Marjo

Until we had children we went to my Mum for Christmas. Once the lads were born, we stayed home. (I always thought it was weird to gve your children Christmas presents and expect them to leave them at home whilst going off visiting. (Personal opinion only)

Everyone came to us. We had a houseful.

As the lads and we got older, we either celebrated Christmas on the Day or depending if/when I was working (It sometimes it would be Boxing day)

Now I don't cook a Christmas meal at all. We book to go out somewhere wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Few years ago we took the kids to Disneyland Paris on boxing Day until after New year's, that was pretty cool.
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

For the first time in years I will be spending Christmas Day at my son's and get to spend some quality time with the boys. Last Christmas I had just been discharged from hospital but the previous 5 years were spent in Thailand. I enjoyed being there because there are no tv adverts and Christmas is literally just the 25th (in the bars!)

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So pleased to hear you will be at your sons for Christmas@jonsie

Also lovely that you will also be spending time with your grandkids. . Hug

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm always out on the bike, knee permitting.. it'll be the same this year!
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have stayed home for twenty years or more smiling

When married we visited one parents Christmas Day then the other parents Boxing Day

I remember a particular wonderful Christmas Day when all the family came to us, we lived in York

Lovely to hear of your Christmas plans for this year @jonsie santa

Message 7 of 12

mahj
Level 3: Thinker
  • 75 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Genuinely interested - is there many restaurants open on Christmas Day? I always presumed there isn’t.
Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@mahj wrote:
Genuinely interested - is there many restaurants open on Christmas Day? I always presumed there isn’t.

Yes this is the best time of year for them. We are going out Christmas and Boxing day for meals

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'm always at home on christmas morning.  We have eaten out or done dinner as a family at one of the houses over the years, but all local.  My family all live in Wales but I tend to do that visiting pre-xmas

Thanks

Steve
Message 10 of 12