ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So, the title already asks the question

Do you speak another language?

What language?

Why did you learn it? Was it in school, or because of friends, just for fun?

How fluent are you?

Do you maybe have another mothertongue? (Just like some from the team here do too)

What language would you love to learn and why?

So for me it's:

-German (mothertongue)

-English in school starting in grade 5 (everyone has to, there is no choice)

-French (rudimental, was forced in school, never wanted it and I don't have any feeling for the language... Had it 6 years)

-Dutch as I started university in the Netherlands (studied in English), I began to learn the language by scratch to be able to speak with my fellow students during break as -most of them- were dutch. As we live just on the border, it's very helpfull. But I was able to understand them before as they're both very common to each other. In shops the sellers don't change to german anymore, so I'm fluent enough, I guess.

I would love to learn Norwegian as a friend is from Oslo and it would be nice to talk to her in another language as English (as it's not our both mothertongue)

Japanese is interesting too (idk why, it just feels like it would be)

And a bit of Russian/Polish/Turkish would be helpfull in job. But as I think the people living here have to learn my language instead we learning theirs, I wouldn't do. Just for being able to understand what they're talking to each other when we are in the same room [it's not very polite to do so... But they do. And you're standing there and you don't know if they're talking about nice flowers or planning to kill you the next 5 minutes].

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

How is it today?

Do the kids have to learn another language in school, or only if they want to?

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 41 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last I heard @ComaChameleon there was talk of making learning another language compulsory in primary school ... but ... my child is in his early thirties wink & I've no contact with the teaching world 

Message 42 of 54

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35919 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions
I learned 2 languages in primary school, hasn't done me any harm... (wibble wibble 🙄😁)

If you have not been exposed to the sounds or phonemes of a particular language by the time you are 6 or so, it is too late - your tongue can't perform the gymnastics needed to make the right sounds... Not easily anyway.
Message 43 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

att I agreed a 2nd language should be taught in primary school, since we were / are Europeans after all ... in my senior school French alternated with German in the 1st form with whichever or Latin in the 2nd form for 2 years at least then in the 4th form options were chosen for O level subject to the set-down timetable agreeing to one's choices

I have looked into learning more Latin at 'night school' but there is no opportunity locally

There is a good Spannish learning group in town

As a bit of an aside I wanted to do Physics to O level in my later life, but again, no opportunity, despite having a good town / area college affiliated to the University of Huddersfield where I couldn't have got to

Edited for spelling

Message 44 of 54

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It's always useful to be able to speak another language.

Sadly many people came here from other countries don't speak German after 30 years. I can't understand how people can't learn. I would like to be able to speak to others - especially to get help if needed. Sometimes we stand in front of patients and can't get to a answer what's the problem..

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 45 of 54

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I was in the hairdressers yesterday and they have a new girl started about 2 months ago. She is Polish and speaks fluent English. A bonus as all the Polish customers ask for her. It has really increased custom in the shop...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 54

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35919 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Ok, I really doubt I would be able to understand a technical discussion in German about what it was that the medical team were talking about if I was admitted to hospital in Germany, @ComaChameleon.

That said, when my wife was in the early stage of pregnancy with our first child 20 years ago, she had bad sickness while we were visiting her family in Germany- the quality of the ultrasound equipment used to make sure everything was as it should be with the pregnancy was astounding. The ultrasound equipment in the pre-natal clinic only really got close to that standard when our youngest, some 12 years later, was on the way...

Message 47 of 54

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@ComaChameleonit's not just Germany that has that problem. It happens here and in the States.

When my maternal grandparents arrived in the States from Russia, they spoke Yiddish, Hebrew and Russian, not one word of English. My grandfather went to nightschool to learn English and taught my grandmother. My mum, who was the only one of her brothers and sisters born in America, spoke Yiddish at home and English outside of the home.

If I moved to a non-English speaking country I would ensure I had some knowledge of the language before I moved. Then find a school, and there's always at least one, where I could improve my language skills. To be able to work and communicate with those around you is essential to be able to integrate properly. I also can't understand how you can live in a country for years and not speak the language. Those people must be so isolated, as it's only their fellow countrymen they can speak to.

To my mind, if you want to live and work in a country then you should speak the language of the country, whether it's England, Germany, Spain, France or anywhere else. If you can't be bothered to learn, then stay at home.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 48 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I was in the hairdressers yesterday and they have a new girl started about 2 months ago. She is Polish and speaks fluent English. A bonus as all the Polish customers ask for her. It has really increased custom in the shop...

What a great post @Cleoriff

There is a strong Polish community in Skipton who generally speak very good English ... they are very good in the hospitality trade ... I have recently discovered a Polish general store opened not far out of town centre ... = ... a great shopping experience slight_smile

Message 49 of 54

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@pgn

There are biiiig differences between hospitals (and even in hospital itself) when it comes to technic...

WE had an ultrasound for intensive care and ER (intern) and that one was so high quality even I was able to see what is what.

On 2 Doctor-cars in Cologne are ultrasounds as small as a Motorola RazR.... (the head is as big as a normal one, but the computer/screen is like such a mobile)

@Glory1

They really showed they wanted to fit in. They wanted to be a part of it.

It's different here.

But Germany and it's bureaucracy....

One of Bn Laden's bodyguards was due to be send back to Tunesia, they throw him out. But now they have to get him back because back there waits torture on him...

Such things are why nobody takes us serious.

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 50 of 54