Do you send Christmas cards?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hey guys,

It's that time of year again when a huge amount of Christmas cards are being sent all over the world!

I happened to do a search with "seasonal greeting card statistics" sweat_smile and found some interesting facts:

• The commercial Christmas card was invented in 1846 by Sir Henry Cole, the chief organiser of the Great Exhibition, pioneer of the penny post and founder of the V&A Museum.
  • One of Sir Henry’s first Christmas cards, sent to his Grandmother was recently sold at auction for  £22,500.
  • Last year, nearly 100 million single Christmas cards were sold in the UK.
  • The vast majority of greeting cards are still bought in bricks and mortar stores, rather than online.
  • Charities estimate that £50m is raised for good causes through the sales of charity Christmas cards each year.
  • Greeting card making is also the number one craft hobby!

If you want to read more interesting facts about the greeting card industry, check here. grin

Do you send Christmas cards? In what format do you prefer to send/receive, paper cards via post or electronically via email? Or an image and greeting via WhatsApp perhaps? Do you make them yourself or buy? smiling

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes I send them @Marjo

We have family and friends all over the world and it's a nice way of catching up by enclosing a newsy letter.

I have cut down on the amount we send. It is expensive, though I do enjoy sending them...

I don't make them myself, though I have a friend who does. She recycles her cards and cuts out parts she likes, using plain cards, she then adds her recycled parts and builds up her cards using glue. glitter and bows etc.

I have to save my cards each year for her to use. innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 28

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I only buy cards for my sons and grandsons so no postage, just had them over when I see them.

Message 3 of 28

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10661 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Marjo

I send very few perhaps 2 to long time friends just to wish them well, hence the very very old xmas stamps I mentioned earlier in Post office christmas stamps blog on O2 and they will be pressed into service this year!

I do buy cards but a box lasts years!  I walk to my neighbours of many years,  to give them a good wish and a card.  These cards are not expensive they are animal themed and are charity cards.

I do not get stressed over Christmas at all (see Martins blog about stress!!) I know my neighbours even

at 80 years get over-come stressed-out really silly!  However whatever switches you on? 

Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I do not! 

What a waste of money, & an even bigger waste of the world's resources.

Message 5 of 28

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

This is the time of the year when a few good photos are sought out, printed, glued ito a suitable blank calendar for the next year (available from many good stationery outlets) and sent to appreciative family members dotted around the country or elsewhere in the world.

Cards, well, some for neighbours, good to post these in person through people's doors, but time and space to make a short summary of things good or things bad, pop this into a card, address it, stamp it and post it does tend to fall by the wayside - it used to be a tradition in our house.

These last few years, it as been an e-mailed letter, due to the last posting dates being closer to November thant to Christmas these days.

Message 6 of 28

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, I don't send any at all, Christmas, birthdays, Easter etc, nothing.
Waste of money for a piece of card that sits on the fireplace for a week then goes in the bin!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I usually do by post or hand delivered ... however this year I just can't be bothered *Bah Humbug*

I shall make an effort with a few old friends & some others will receive an email Christmas picture

it should be a joy to remember friends & family whilst writing their cards, but it just isn't with me this year ... so ... I've made a special donation to Cats Protection League, which I support regularly anyway Cat Very Happy

Message 8 of 28

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I do... But it's not common here. I love getting post which isn't a bill or adverts. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 28

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Yes, most definitely we still honour the Christmas card tradition. Getting viewer though, too many funerals this year for us confused

Message 10 of 28