Do you send Christmas cards?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hey guys,

It's that time of year again when a huge amount of Christmas cards are being sent all over the world!

I happened to do a search with "seasonal greeting card statistics" sweat_smile and found some interesting facts:

• The commercial Christmas card was invented in 1846 by Sir Henry Cole, the chief organiser of the Great Exhibition, pioneer of the penny post and founder of the V&A Museum.
  • One of Sir Henry’s first Christmas cards, sent to his Grandmother was recently sold at auction for  £22,500.
  • Last year, nearly 100 million single Christmas cards were sold in the UK.
  • The vast majority of greeting cards are still bought in bricks and mortar stores, rather than online.
  • Charities estimate that £50m is raised for good causes through the sales of charity Christmas cards each year.
  • Greeting card making is also the number one craft hobby!

If you want to read more interesting facts about the greeting card industry, check here. grin

Do you send Christmas cards? In what format do you prefer to send/receive, paper cards via post or electronically via email? Or an image and greeting via WhatsApp perhaps? Do you make them yourself or buy? smiling

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff

You friend sounds really crafty! Does she make it for fun or is it part of her job to create those cards? Either way, I'd love to see a few things she's created before, you've intrigued me hugging

@jonsie

Most of the cards I give are also in person, except for one I send to France each year. It's a nice accompaniement to a little wrapped present gift

@TallTrees

Christmas shouldn't be a source of stress I completely agree with you. It should all be about having a good time after a long year sunflower I really liked animal themed cards as well ... I can't resist a penguin! Do you have any favourites you look out for when you pick cards?

@Anonymous & @MI5

Fair enough, it's not for everyone! Do you not like receiving them either then?

@pgn

Do you always make your own cards or e-cards from family photos then? That's a very personal touch, I've not had the chance to do something like that yet but it seems very fitting to the season!

@Anonymous

What a lovely gesture Cat A lot of charities also have cards, maybe you could get some from one close to your heart for your closest friends/family you do want to send a card to?

@ComaChameleon

It's definitely more common and expected in the UK than in France as well, I find, but it's such a pleasure to receive more than bills and ads via mail as you said smiling

@dgilbert2

It can be bittersweet but I hope you have fun writing and sending those cards to your friends and family members this year, and sorry to hear about your losses pensive

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 28

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

This is one of the cards I bought last year ready to go

WP_20181204_16_15_42_Pro.jpg       Sleepy owls !!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Expecting snow at Christmas here if the local weather girl is to be believed....

Message 13 of 28

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

@dgilbert2

It can be bittersweet but I hope you have fun writing and sending those cards to your friends and family members this year, and sorry to hear about your losses pensive

Thank you for your kind words neutral

Message 14 of 28

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@TallTrees

Lovely card, I like the little owls! To stay in the animal-them, here are the ones I got last year:

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 09.40.31.png

@jonsie

You'll have to make sure you're all stocked up before hand! hugging

@dgilbert2

Hug

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 28

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

Those cards are really lovely!  I like the Red Squirrel particularly 

(there is a colony of Red Squirrels on Brownsea Island in Dorset, looked

after by Dorset Wildlife)  and the penguins are great.

This is another card part of a set I bought last year still with

the Owl theme.....we have owls in the garden hunting at night

and a Blackbird card too.

I love to hear the owls Twit Woo 

WP_20181205_09_57_25_Pro.jpg   Happy dayssmiling

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 16 of 28

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

I love the snowy cards with a Robin and a village with all the Christmas lights. arrrr....santa

Message 17 of 28

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@dgilbert2 wrote:

I love the snowy cards with a Robin and a village with all the Christmas lights. arrrr....santa

So do I ~ thumbsup

I don't like real snow though!thumbsdown

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 28

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

LOL @TallTrees I see from your Christmas posts that you prefer it when its all over grin

I'm not into the stress of it all either though Shirtysanta

Message 19 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

From me to you.

619748722_o.jpgsavour it, cos it's the only one you'll ever get from me! (Tick your own)

Message 20 of 28