cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you run security software on your smartphone/tablet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

People tend to accept that's it necessary to run some sort of antivirus/antimalware agent  on their desktop/laptop but it seems they don't think they need to on their smart device.

I run Antivirus on my phone just in case, what about you?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Occasionally malware bytes but anything else is pointless.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No I don't. I was once advised on here it wasn't necessary, so I have never installed anything.

I have had no problems with any smartphone I've had..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Some A/V products are too resource-hungry to have installed and running all the time.

Zemana Antivirus, the "free" version, does OK for me.
Message 4 of 8

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I've never run any security software on any of my phones and have never had a problem.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I use Malwarebytes and Bit Defender. It scans all my app updates and isn't a resource hog. No harm in having them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The best firewall you will get for Android is anything that uses IP Tables. For full functionality, you need to be running as root alas it prevents things in real-time. Not behind a limited user account where often you are paying for "fixes".

Call me cynical although I've only ever encountered one or two viruses personally in the last 20 years. Other times it's been malware that I have found and remedied to the best of my ability. Internet Security is a heavily marketed product sold with almost every PC Laptop and sometimes Mac.

I'm not really convinced that is really necessary for most experienced users alas there will be times when general users will be caught out with a dodgy app or unaware of what is going on.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Great thread thank you @Anonymous

I don't run any malware or other security and I also read that it is not really needed.

I do not download apps. no banks nothing. Everyone is offering this app or that app 

so this, I think, is my security.  When I bought the phone I took off as much as I could,  some of them would not uninstall but I never use them such as Podcast or maps apps installed.

I don't game on my phone so all games off. The main use for my phone is contact.  Occasional Mobile Data use. Some photos.

Never use hotspots.

I clear the browsing regularly.

It is kept updated by the provider.

I have taken advice from o2 community to bar this and that through CS.

Trying best not to become a Victim!  of any sort.

As becoming a victim is very time consuming not to mention the loss of money.frowning2

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 8