cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ise your phone while on holiday?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When we go abroad on holiday, I usually switch off my phone until we get back to English shores. My view is, that we go away to get away from things.Besides which, if we get any news,we can't get back any quicker than the ship/plane  will bring us,so there's no point in going over and over things in my head that I can do nothing to change.

When I see people with a phone glued to their ear, I wonder why they bothered to come away, if they can't do without   daily contact. What did they do before mobile phones existed?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Pup.blabbers are "Potentionally Unwanted Programs" which it should be safe to remove, more here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=113764

It suggest you have downloaded some programs that you may not need or use, or programs that were installed along with other programs that you were not aware of.

They will be put into "Quarantine" if you remove them so they can be recovered should you need to.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 33

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Back to the original thread....yep, I take mine with me primarily because its such a pain trying to find a call box let alone have the right currency. That and hotel phones are ridiculously expensive just to keep in touch with family (parents still like to be rung to make sure you're ok!). The hassle of finding a local sim doesn't appeal to me so I grin and bear the cost of using it abroad though sensibly budget for the use.

Even though I have most of my email via webmail, having the Blackberry was very handy as certain things could be communicated better at my leisure than using the phone or trying to find a computer to reply to an email.

Message 12 of 33

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I still have to have access to email to deal with clients when I'm on holiday but ill turn off network access. Annoyingly being self employed I find it very difficult to shut down completely:( I should try and employ someone I trust to run it so I can have a real holiday:)

Completely agree however you only really need a phone for emergencies.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 13 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

If parents don't think their offspring are safe to be let out on their own, they couldn't have done a very good job of bringing them up to be responsible people.

If the parents are old, alone, or have some disability, it's understandable the children would want to check up on them, but surely having one person as the go between would pass on urgent messages, and also they would not be stealing your valuable "me" time while you are away.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but that's my way of thinking.

Regards

Immey:smileywink:

Message 14 of 33

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm 23 and my parents still don't think I'm safe enough to be left alone grin
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Liquid,

Some shops still have a day when they are closed, to be able to do their own thing. Get yourself someone to hold the fort for you.

There is a wise saying that the mark of a good manager is that the office runs as smoothly when he's out of it as when he is there.

If you don't refresh yourself properly, you won't be able to function as efficiently as you'd like to.

Regards

Immey:smileyhappy:

Message 16 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they monitor your posts on this forum?

We'll have to be careful, won't we?

It's not your age that decides if you are safe on your own; it could be that they once did what you are doing now, so they can second guess what you are going to do before you actually do it. Have you tried using the scissors?

Immey

Message 17 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I always take the phone on holiday with me but it normally stays in the hotel and just switched on at night and morning in case of family emergencies.

However I'm in Thailand shortly for 3 months and the phone will be on during the daytime and evening due to the 7 hour time difference. I also like to keep up with the footy and sports results, sad I know but when you are on your own you take pleasure in the simple things in life.:smileywink:

Message 18 of 33

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha great responses:) I completely agree unfortunately I cannot yet bring myself to trust anyone to run my business for me. It will come with time. I'm young I've got loads of time to work myself to death.

I believe my parents are just overprotective. Haven't lived with them for 4 years now yet they still believe I'm too young to make my own decisions haha. I think it stems from them both working too much and missing a lot of me growing up so they're trying to make up for it despite how tiresome it is.

I think this is more a discussion for a physiologist should the time come for one grin
Message 19 of 33

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
I think this is more a discussion for a physiologist should the time come for one grin

A psychologist might be more help! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 20 of 33