Did you mean: 

Do you get your news from social media?

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone,

According to a recent Ofcom report, nearly half of UK adults now keep up to date on the news via social media. Whilst TV remains the primary source of news for most people the number of those who get at least some of their news from social media has increased to 49% up from 44% last year. 

Stories shared by news organisations, trending news and stories shared by friends and family are the primary ways people consume news on social media and people are more likely to interact with a story by commenting and sharing when it's on social media. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 11.14.59.png

It would be great to hear how you get your news! What's your preferred method of keeping up with the news? Do you only have one source like TV or do you use different sources like newspapers?  

Do you follow any news organisations on social media or do you prefer to go directly to their website or other channels? 

Lastly what do you think the future of news will be, do you think more traditional sources like print will disappear in the near future and if so what will replace it?  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get my news off BBC Radio Four at home

When in the pub, usually SKY News is on ... so ... sometimes this promotes discussion amongst the group

Message 2 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Social media - Twitter, typically. I can search for what I want to know quickly. 

Also Android news app on phone, but it picks up on searches and sways what you see accordingly.

Google search is my 3rd avenue. 

I might catch the radio news on my way into or home from work, R2 or ClassicFM. 

TV ads annoy me, trails (BBC) likewise - so TV is waaaaay down the list. 

Message 3 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I get news from BBC News24 TV channel and from BBC News website or newspaper websites.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I get emails of the days headlines from the Guardian, the BBC and the Mirror. Also news 'flashes' from them all during the day. Same too from the Bolton and Manchester Evening News papers. Then of course I see the ITV news at tea-time so I keep fully informed of events ere in the UK.

I also get emails from the Bangkok Post and the local website back home in Thailand.

Message 5 of 13

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I don't watch a lot of TV at all so mainly get my news from social media and by reading news websites directly. 

I like to see what others are thinking about a story so social media is great in that respect. 

It's interesting that a few of you mentioned the BBC as they are considered one of the most trustworthy sources according to the report. Personally I find their reporting quite balanced which you don't get from many of the other news outlets. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I get my news from BBC, ITV, Sky News. Also 3x a week I have a newspaper.

I also have newsflash from BBC and Sky on my phone

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

About the only time I read a physical newspaper is when I go for a haircut, that's once every six monthsCrazy LOL

Message 8 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2 

I do not have any Social Media Accounts therefore don't get any news info from there.

I look at news on my Computer

I listen to news on general and local radio and World Service at night

I listen and view news on TV

I read news articles on my mobile phone too.

I never read newspapers 

I do read my local news magazine when it comes free in my letterbox.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 13

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

What's Newsflash @Cleoriff ? I assume it gives you the headlines from all the breaking stories? 

@jonsie I'll read the free papers on my commute sometimes but don't buy any other newspapers. 

@TallTrees Ahh yes I forgot about the local news magazine! We get one through the door once a month and it gives updates on local news and all the crime that's happened. 

signature

Message 10 of 13