Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ding dong-Sounds Dog. Happy PAWS thought

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi folks     Those of you who followed my story will know I was sad when I didnt reach the criteria for a Hearing Dog for the Deaf.   

Ive now been offered a Sounds Support Dog. The process is underway but could take a while .

More news shortly Bouncy

Message 1 of 133
132 REPLIES 132

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi These are the breeds of dog chosen and trained by Hearing Dogs for the Deaf. A charity . It takes about 18m - 3 yrs to train a dog from puppyhood.
Some dogs manage the full training and can work anywhere. They are Hearing Dogs with purple jackets.
Message 11 of 133

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Im in line for a Sounds Support Dog. 

These dogs have done all the training but failed on an external element eg cant cope with elevators or big cities (who can blame them ).  My hearing loss isnt quite severe enough to qualify for a Hearing Dog. A Sounds dogs will help with sounds at home( doorbell and timers) and some away eg smoke / fire alarms.  

Message 12 of 133

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

After a visit to The Grange , HQ of Hearing Dogs. I was accepted.

Next step   our criteria go into the computer

(eg children friendly, adaptable dog , ). Clients arent allowed to stipulate a breed. All lovely anyway.

The names of  dogs set aside as Sounds Dogs go into the computer with their merits and failures.

Bingo   One waits for a match..........it can take 18m. 

www.hearingdogs.org uk       if you'd like more info.

PS dogs that dont make the grade on sounds and on external features become Companion dogs. They become the clients  pet, whereas as the other 2 types are always the property of Hearing Dogs for the Deaf.

Message 13 of 133

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
PS Can one edit posts in Off topic once be up for a few hours? I wrote too much above , shortening would be good . Options doesn't show an editing option. Ta
Message 14 of 133

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:
PS Can one edit posts in Off topic once be up for a few hours? I wrote too much above , shortening would be good . Options doesn't show an editing option. Ta

No @Jenny105  you can't. The editing window was open for 90 minutes. Now it appears to have reduced to 60 minutes when tried to edit a post last week.

After that cut off time, if you want any changes made then you will need to ask the moderators or managers to do it for you.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 133

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Jenny105 

Wishing you well smiling

Message 16 of 133

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

IMG_8247 north gate  to shed.jpgThe proto type fencing is approved . 5foot or just over is sufficient. We'll stake it securely.  This post may go dead for awhile as its a waiting game now . Thanks for your interest. 

Message 17 of 133

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thta's great news @Jenny105, I hope you won't have to wait too long now, and looking forward to the next update! smiley fingers_crossed

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 133

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi folks 

An email popped into my box this am from Victoria my assistant at Hearing Dogs.  A match has appeared on the computer.  A male labrador.   First, we have to meet . If there's a bonding a time of transfer from trainee to me will occur.

Unusually quick !!!!

Message 19 of 133

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions