Deaf Awareness Week 2020

O2Elaine
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi wave

This week is Deaf Awareness Week and this years topic is regarding acquired deafness which we believe is interesting as currently in the UK 1 in 6 people have a form of hearing loss.

So we would like to know if you have being up to anything this week to celebrate Deaf Awareness Week, #DAW2020

I personally find British Sign Language an interesting language especially regarding regional differences.

signature
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I wasn't aware of this one yet @O2Elaine , cheers for posting. slight_smile 

Celebrating Deaf Awareness Week, I think one thing that would be great to do is to read up and educate ourselves on the topic which I think is one of the reasons these types of special weeks/days/months have been created, to raise awareness and get people to learn more about things.

I found an info page here in case anyone wants to read more about some key facts around deafness and hearing loss, and there's a section also for learning what acquired deafness is. 

Message 2 of 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I learnt to sign a few years back. A bit rusty these days but it does come in handy sometimes. Wasn’t aware they had a awareness week, definitely didn’t see anything about it in the press.. which isn’t good.
Message 3 of 3